Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Any year Mazda 5 to avoid? (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Default Any year Mazda 5 to avoid? (Canada)

Hello:

I am starting the process of replacing my 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT, I've had two Elantra's which were both bulletproof to over 200K. I can't afford new and since there is a gap in the Elantra's imported here (Last GT i.e. hatchback, was 2006 and first Touring was 2009) I need something solid and reliable to replace it.

I am leaning towards the 2008 GT with 5 speed transmission. However, I'm just wondering if there is a year/model to avoid due to major component issues, such as a particular engine/transmission/suspension/etc. or perhaps a particular model/year to aim for because it has a certain feature etc.

I'm not overly worried about minor nagging things at this point, I just don't want to get saddled with a major issue (e.g. Subaru style head gasket issue).

Thank you

Old 03-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Avoid the '06/'07 models, too many tire issues plus a lack of armrests.

You'll be fine with the '08 (I have an '09).

Also, keep in mind that the manual transmission is geared differently than the automatic transmissions. You'll get slightly lower gas mileage (maybe 2 mpg) at highway speeds but your Mazda5 will be peppier at lower speeds.

Personally, if I were looking for a Mazda5 today I would buy a 2012 model (the new model). You will get a 6-speed manual transmission instead of the 5-speed that was in the '10 and earlier models. There was not a 2011 model, the 2012 model was released early.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Hey thanks for your response.

So the tire wear issues were taken care of from '08 onwards? There is SO MUCH talk about it online it's a little hard to figure out if/when the problem was fixed.

Budget restricts me to used, so I'm hoping for an '08 GT (I'm in Canada so the trim level names may be different) but may end up with a GS instead, depends on what turns up.

Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM

In general, I would say get whatever year you think you are getting the best deal. The tire wear problem is by no means universal, and it can be fixed fairly cheaply with the adjustable rear arms for the M3 (if you know a decent mechanic). There are no 'bad' years of M5.