Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Airbag Light

Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Default Airbag Light

Hi All,
Me again, sorry for all the questions, My airbag light has started flashing! It flashes 4 slow flashes first then a short pause then 2 quick flashes. After a bit of googleing I think it means 'Crash zone sensor fault' Does anyone have any ideas where I might find this, I just wanted to check all connections etc. I have tried the connectors under the seats (it was flashing a different code before) but now has this code flashing.
Thanks everyone!

Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 AM

Not sure where they are on the 5 but they're usually bolted to the bodywork under the front bumper or inner wings.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by ford306
Hi All,
Me again, sorry for all the questions, My airbag light has started flashing! It flashes 4 slow flashes first then a short pause then 2 quick flashes. After a bit of googleing I think it means 'Crash zone sensor fault' Does anyone have any ideas where I might find this, I just wanted to check all connections etc. I have tried the connectors under the seats (it was flashing a different code before) but now has this code flashing.
Thanks everyone!
What year is your 5? I had a similar issue and was fortunate that it was covered under the srs warranty which goes up to 60,000 miles, check your owners manual for warranty details.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Glood info, John.

Yes, if still under warranty your best bet is to take it to your stealership.
And yes, the front bumper, on the LS, IIRC is where you would find the sensor.

Also be aware that in 2005, there was a recall issued for a crash sensor replacement in the 2004 model 3 series, like mine. If there are others like you out there, this might just be a similar issue that has not shown up on Mazdas radar yet.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM

its a september 2008 with 90,000 miles so no warranty here! It did seem to come on after a bumpy bit of road, thats why I'm thinking it's probably just a plug that needs re-seating. Just hoping its somewhere easy to get to!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Default Mazda 5 Airbag light flashing

The light came on yesterday and when I brought it to the dealer they said it maybe caused by stuff under the passenger seat. Then they ran a diagnostic and now say it is caused by rusting in the sensors in the front of the car. They charged $100 to figure it out, then they want $300 for the parts. Of course the warranty is just finished amazing how this works. The car has 106,000 kilometres and the dealer is telling us the car has high kilo. This maybe the last Mazda I buy as I would expect much more. This is our 5 th Mazda.
We just spent $1,000 for rear shocks and burnt tranmission fluid a few weeks ago. The car has always been serviced at the same Dealer. Just want to hear if anyone else is experiencing problems. Thanks

Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry to say that the North American Mazda dealerships have a bad rep as far as customer service is concerned.
You would think they would be a lot more forgiving when a customer actually brings one of their cars back for service and repairs, but they are not.
When I developed a problem w/my car the day before Christmas several yrs ago, they got me in quickly... BUT the catch was that there was a $100 diagnoses fee that was non -refundable. Add to that the cost of what turned out to be a plastic check valve and hose for $180 and another $100 in labor for waht was a 10 min install and the bill was $380.
Mazda USA can kiss my a@@ from now on. I will do it myself until the car is used up.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:03 PM

More Mazda 5 2008 problems, I posted on Dec, still problems with the engine light, they have replaced the crash sensor lights, and another one, light is still on now they think the CO2 maybe the problem. The computer gives a different reading each time, the rear lights are sometimes not coming on. Lots of other problems we now visit the Dealer almost every day. The Dealer has been very good and cooperating (so far) The car was very reliable until all this started happening.
Anyone else having problems? Thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM

This is only loosely related, but I recall in my old 1996 Honda Civic I had years ago, my airbag light came on. I had Honda check it out, and while I can't recall exactly what the issue was, it was related to the light, and not the airbags, and was quite expensive to fix. They said the airbags are fine, and the light was on erroneously. So I just ignored it till the bulb died and probably spend my money on beer or something instead ;-)

Not sure if the light on was an error, or if it was actually an airbag problem, I just took their word for it as I was cheap - probably a bad move, and a dumb dealership but what can I say. I lived to get rid of the car without any accidents to test the whole thing.

Now that I have a family however, if I had the same issue with my 5, I would take it in and have it checked out / fixed. Don't want to mess with safety issues.

---

P.S. I think it is programmed into the computer to turn on some warning lights at random from time to time just to pad the wallets of the dealership owners... ;-)

Old 06-26-2013, 02:40 AM

'09 Mazda5 Sport, about 43,500 miles.

Is there an extended SRS warranty, or would it fall under bumper to bumper which has expired for me? My airbag light has started flashing two long then two short, then a pause. Then it repeats.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Light