Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Default What kind of mileage are you getting?

I have had this 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring for about 3 weeks now and received my new NJ license plates from the dealer this afternoon.

My first full tank was Shell Premium and now switched to Shell Plus. Next tank will be Shell Unleaded. My commute is mostly 60/40 where 60% is highway, and 40% city and I just hit 27 MPG today based on the on board computer. Twenty three more miles and I will be hitting my 1000 miles on the odometer.

I currently have dino 5W20 which I switched it around 600 miles and will be changing along with oil filter with Mobil1 0W20 as long as I own this car. Oil change interval will most likely be 4500 or whenever I feel the fuel economy starts to degrade and/or when the engine starts to feel rough.

I think 27 MPG right now with combined driving is pretty darn good. Just wanted to see what other folks are getting with their Mazda5. With the current mileage statistics, I am optimistic that mostly highway fuel economy may go up to around 29-31 as long as I don't go over 70ish MPH.

Last edited by dieseldriver2003; 10-12-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by dieseldriver2003
I have had this 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring for about 3 weeks now and received my new NJ license plates from the dealer this afternoon.

My first full tank was Shell Premium and now switched to Shell Plus. Next tank will be Shell Unleaded. My commute is mostly 60/40 where 60% is highway, and 40% city and I just hit 27 MPG today based on the on board computer. Twenty three more miles and I will be hitting my 1000 miles on the odometer.

I currently have dino 5W20 which I switched it around 600 miles and will be changing along with oil filter with Mobil1 0W20 as long as I own this car. Oil change interval will most likely be 4500 or whenever I feel the fuel economy starts to degrade and/or when the engine starts to feel rough.

I think 27 MPG right now with combined driving is pretty darn good. Just wanted to see what other folks are getting with their Mazda5. With the current mileage statistics, I am optimistic that mostly highway fuel economy may go up to around 29-31 as long as I don't go over 70ish MPH.
A few comments:
  • You should have checked in here before you did your first oil change; most here will tell you that Mazda puts a special additive package into the oil (and/or oil soluble pastes on the parts) which are meant to be left in your engine for the full 7,500 mile oil change interval to aid in the break-in process.
  • Mobil 1 0W-20 is good oil, but changing it every 4,500 miles is a waste of money and resources; leave it in for 7,500 miles until your warranty is out, and then bump it to ten or twelve thousand (based on UOAs, even that is conservative).
  • Changing your oil early will not affect your fuel economy at all, good, bad or otherwise.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Good info, thanks Shipo. Well, I was too eager to do my oil change and my determination to break in this Mazda5 right from the start had me jump in too soon to do that dino oil change.

I am planning to change out the dino oil this weekend with fresh new filter. With regards to the oil change interval, I've always did my oil change at around 4-5K miles, or whenever I start feeling that the engine takes a bit longer to start or when I feel roughness when accelerating. But yeah, I do understand your point about change interval but I just feel better changing it around 4-5K miles. And after two oil change, new air filter, and tire rotation.

But in terms of mileage though, I think it's darn good for this car to get near 30MPG on highway.

I have some new toy accessories coming tomorrow that I will be putting on the car also. My last add on will most likely be rear tinted windows, and sunroof deflector. Oh and also the clear film for the nose so to avoid paint chips.
Originally Posted by shipo
A few comments:
  • You should have checked in here before you did your first oil change; most here will tell you that Mazda puts a special additive package into the oil (and/or oil soluble pastes on the parts) which are meant to be left in your engine for the full 7,500 mile oil change interval to aid in the break-in process.
  • Mobil 1 0W-20 is good oil, but changing it every 4,500 miles is a waste of money and resources; leave it in for 7,500 miles until your warranty is out, and then bump it to ten or twelve thousand (based on UOAs, even that is conservative).
  • Changing your oil early will not affect your fuel economy at all, good, bad or otherwise.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 PM

Funny thing about fuel economy, my son was minding his own business sitting at a stop light when a Ford F-150 rear-ended him in my Mazda3 (the officer responding to the accident initially didn't believe he was driving my car saying, "I didn't think kids drove manual transmissions anymore!"). Anyway, I took my car in to the body shop this week and "Yikes! Look at the size of that sucker!", they gave me a brand new Dodge Charger with Chrysler's new 3.6 VVT engine and their new 8-Speed automatic. I've now got nearly 250 miles on it with a roughly 65/35 highway/city split, and the OBC is showing a 31 miles per gallon average since I reset it Monday morning.

Geez, driven in the same manner my Mazda gets about 33 to 34 mpg in spite of the fact that it has less than half the horse power, weighs over a thousand pounds less than the Charger, and it has a heck of a lot less frontal area. Either the Dodge engine is extremely efficient or the Ford/Mazda engine is a bit of a pig; maybe it's a little of both.

I find myself wondering how a Mazda3 or a Mazda5 would purport itself with that 300 hp beastie under the hood (it looks like it would fit by the way). All things considered, I can't wait to get back into my car and stir my own gears again.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:45 AM

Yeah, funny how that is. I used to be a proud owner of 1992 BMW 318i 5Speed many years ago and I was barely breaking 30MPG on the thing with 4 cylinder engine on it. Then I owned 1999 BMW 328i sedan with 5 speed and I easily broke 29-30MPH on straight six engine. Go figure right? VANOS on the older E46 chassis was one of the best engine BMW produced during those years. Hardly makes any noise at all those engine, and have gobs of mid end torque like you wouldn't believe.

When it comes to 16V DOHC engine, I believe Honda made one of the best ones like the ones they put into the Civic and first generation CR-V's. I guess I like the Mazda's 4banger 16V engine too but I still like the Honda version better.

This is one of my favorite video of E46 during production. I would still consider getting one again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXVgFpHYwFs
Funny thing about fuel economy, my son was minding his own business sitting at a stop light when a Ford F-150 rear-ended him in my Mazda3 (the officer responding to the accident initially didn't believe he was driving my car saying, "I didn't think kids drove manual transmissions anymore!"). Anyway, I took my car in to the body shop this week and "Yikes! Look at the size of that sucker!", they gave me a brand new Dodge Charger with Chrysler's new 3.6 VVT engine and their new 8-Speed automatic. I've now got nearly 250 miles on it with a roughly 65/35 highway/city split, and the OBC is showing a 31 miles per gallon average since I reset it Monday morning.

Geez, driven in the same manner my Mazda gets about 33 to 34 mpg in spite of the fact that it has less than half the horse power, weighs over a thousand pounds less than the Charger, and it has a heck of a lot less frontal area. Either the Dodge engine is extremely efficient or the Ford/Mazda engine is a bit of a pig; maybe it's a little of both.

I find myself wondering how a Mazda3 or a Mazda5 would purport itself with that 300 hp beastie under the hood (it looks like it would fit by the way). All things considered, I can't wait to get back into my car and stir my own gears again.

Last edited by dieseldriver2003; 10-13-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:26 AM

The highest I got was 27mpg.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by dieseldriver2003
Yeah, funny how that is. I used to be a proud owner of 1992 BMW 318i 5Speed many years ago and I was barely breaking 30MPG on the thing with 4 cylinder engine on it. Then I owned 1999 BMW 328i sedan with 5 speed and I easily broke 29-30MPH on straight six engine. Go figure right? VANOS on the older E46 chassis was one of the best engine BMW produced during those years. Hardly makes any noise at all those engine, and have gobs of mid end torque like you wouldn't believe.

When it comes to 16V DOHC engine, I believe Honda made one of the best ones like the ones they put into the Civic and first generation CR-V's. I guess I like the Mazda's 4banger 16V engine too but I still like the Honda version better.

This is one of my favorite video of E46 during production. I would still consider getting one again.

Making_of_an_BMW E46 - YouTube
I had both a 1999 328i 5-Speed and a 2002 530i 5-Speed and both were easily capable of returning over 30 mpg, the 328i would return 36 mpg upon occasion. Great cars.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Hi Shipo,

Okay, I broke 27MPG today, and thinking it will be higher than that ooh hoo!

Can't wait to get 90+% highway driving time to see where that goes.

Yeah, I still love the BMW 3 Series. BTW, I show your Avatar has Corsair on it, one of my favorite WWII planes behind the ME-109 and Mustang, great figher planes of the European theater!
I had both a 1999 328i 5-Speed and a 2002 530i 5-Speed and both were easily capable of returning over 30 mpg, the 328i would return 36 mpg upon occasion. Great cars.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM

First fill-up today on our 2012 6MT: 12.9 gallons of 87 for the first 320 miles = 24.8mpg (mixed ~60/40 city/hwy).

Shipo -

A few comments:
Shipo - do you have a link to more info on this? My dealer agreed with me when I suggested an early 1st oil change (an longtime practice meant to get rid of any shavings left by a new, tight engine 'breaking in').
I have to believe that any soluble assembly pastes are gone soon after the first firing up when hot oil circulates around for a few minutes.
I'm not doubting you, just the first I've heard of any 'special additive package'.
thanks!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 PM

our '99 528i (4-sp auto) gets mid to high 20's in mixed driving, can top 30 on long highway runs.
I love E39s, even considered a low mileage '00-'03 wagon before buying the Mazda5. Ultimately, having one complex autobahn-blaster in the garage was enough... right now I'm changing the rear brakes and upper control arms on our 130k miler.
Started out as a simple ($75) abs sensor R&R, but when I had to drill out the old one discovered that the rotors where pretty shot and all 4 upper control arm bushings were also kaputt. Those will cost me ~$500 to replace, or about what BMW would charge me for doing the rear brakes (I can get the rotors and pads for $150 and do it myself in a few hours).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of mileage are you getting?