Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

2.0 sport mazda 5

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Default 2.0 sport mazda 5

Hi fellow mazda owners , i own a uk mazda 5 2 litre sport 56 plate. Recently i have been noticing a couple of problems.The engine seems to be reving very high through the gears which makes it very sluggish.I know that cabin noise is supposed to be not to good on the 5 but it does seem to rev to loud which makes me have to change gear very early.The other problem is the steering which almost feels to me as though the wheels are out of balance because it jumps slightly as i turn the wheel .I am not very technically minded on these things soany suggestions would be helfull or is it just a case of getting mazda to check it over. tia

Pulsar

Old 06-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Default RE: 2.0 sport mazda 5

Hi Pulsar,

Is it a petrol or diesel? How many miles? When was it last serviced? Do you mean the engine is noisy when you rev it or is it revving up on it's own as you change gear?

The steering.....check your tyres! Turn the steering to full lock and carefully check the full width of the tyres then turn it the other way and do the same. Check the rear tyres as well. If you're not sure take it someone who can check it for you. If the tyres are worn excessively on their outer edges take it to a dealer and kick up a fuss, and ask them to check the alignment. If the tyres are OK have the balancing checked and while they're at it ask them to check you haven't got a buckled wheel.

Do you mean the steering wheel judders as you drive or jerks as you turn it?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 AM

Hi NickC,

I will try to answer your questions the best i can.The car is petrol and has had its first year service with official dealer stamp,Second service is due in august.I have done about 8000 miles in it.What basically happens is the revs seem to me to be very high between each gear range which means you are changing gear to early in my opion to keep the noise down.When your in 5th gear the revs are very high at about 60 miles an hour. The actual rev counter its self doesn't show this though and stays below 3000 revs at 60 which doesn't seem right compared to the noise.Unless this is to do with the noise problems the car has i dont know.

The problem with the steering normally appears when im pulling away from being parked.if i have to turn a bit sharp it jumps as though its actually drove over something on one side of the car.I will try some of the things you suggested forthis and see how i go though im uncertain how i could of buckled the wheel.

Many thanks for your help NickC

Pulsar

Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Pulsar,

I think the thing to do is run it into a dealer. You're still under warranty and it's difficult to diagnose problems like this without seeing the car. Keep us posted with how you get on.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 PM

I thought the pertol 2.0 reved far too high in 5th at 70 so I went for the 2.0 Diesel Sport with the 6spd

Sounds like its just the normal low gearing of the Petrol 2.0 (coupled with the poor sound proofing) unless its not always been like that ??