Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Will a bent rim make the car shake while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Lev
Default Will a bent rim make the car shake while driving?

I got my tires rotated and balanced a little less than a week ago. I noticed that the car would shake going between 55-65mph like i had an unbalanced tire. It didn't do this before the rotation and balance. I called the place back and told them they must not have balanced the tire properly.

This morning was my scheduled date for the fix. I walk into the door and the mechanic told me that they forgot to tell me that i had a bent rim and that's what's causing the shake. Is this true, or is he feeding me **** so he doesn't have to do a free job?
Thanks in advance

Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

The short answer is yes, a bent wheel will shake the car, like and out-pf-balance tire will. You should feel it as more of a side-to-side motion.
However all wheels, like all brake rotors/drums, anything that is meant to be round, have some run-out.
If you are @ the shaking point, the wheel is beyond the acceptable run-out tolerance point and either needs to be straightened or replaced.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Lev
I got my tires rotated and balanced a little less than a week ago. I noticed that the car would shake going between 55-65mph like i had an unbalanced tire. It didn't do this before the rotation and balance. I called the place back and told them they must not have balanced the tire properly.

This morning was my scheduled date for the fix. I walk into the door and the mechanic told me that they forgot to tell me that i had a bent rim and that's what's causing the shake. Is this true, or is he feeding me **** so he doesn't have to do a free job?
Thanks in advance
I would take it back to the shop and have them re-balance the wheels. Tell them you want to know what wheel is bent. If they won't help you go to another shop and have the wheels re-balanced, Its cheaper to pay to have the wheels re-balanced then to buy a new wheel.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Lev

Thanks Richard. It's an up and down shake, if that makes any difference. I saw a pair of 05 17's on ebay for $100 + $50 S+H. Both rims have tires, which i don't need. I don't want to spend an insane amount on a brand new one. I also don't want the brand new one to stick out more than the other 3. I think I'll just start a new post asking anyone willing to sell one 04-06 17" rim. Damn It!!!! I'm sick of spending money i don't have!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Lev

They told me it was the front driver's side. That's not a bad idea to just have it balanced again for $20 than spen over a hundred. I know a helpful tire shop that will do it and not screw me over. Thanks.

Also i just went to a new mazda dealership that was a saturn dealership. My engine mount is bad and they said it would be $150 to replace it including labor. Is that a bad price? I know the engine mount itself is about $90.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Lev
They told me it was the front driver's side. That's not a bad idea to just have it balanced again for $20 than spen over a hundred. I know a helpful tire shop that will do it and not screw me over. Thanks.

Also i just went to a new mazda dealership that was a saturn dealership. My engine mount is bad and they said it would be $150 to replace it including labor. Is that a bad price? I know the engine mount itself is about $90.
Just had mine done, that is what they charged me. Is your bad engine mount the one up top near the coolant tank?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Lev

I believe that's the culprit. Ok at least it's the same amount, and i know they're not over charging.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Lev
I believe that's the culprit. Ok at least it's the same amount, and i know they're not over charging.
LEV,

Any time you have to take your car in for repairs always request to see the bad parts. I do because you know how some shops like to fix things that don't need to be repaired. I did that when I was told my engine mount was bad because I didn't notice any vibration so I thought I was getting ripped off, you know when you bring your car into the dealer they always find something. The tech was very helpful and had no problem showing me the old part.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Lev

I Brought the car to a mechanic and asked him to check my mounts. I remember him saying the passenger side mount was bad and he said i should replace all the mounts. I went to the dealership and just asked how much it would be to replace the passenger side mount and that's what they told me. They didn't look at my car. When i do take the car in, I will ask them to show me The mount and how to tell a good from a bad. Thanks for the input