Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Whats the difference? (oil)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:04 PM
Default Whats the difference? (oil)

Ok, I hear mobil 1 is the best, so thats what I am looking at. Walmart has best price by far, so I go to the website and I see this. The 5 qt, is only one of its kind. But 2 different prices for the 1 qt, and I was wondering if there is anything different between the two, or the 5qt. I cant see anything...
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt. - Walmart.com
MOBIL 105891 Engine Oil, 1 Qt, SAE Grade 0W-20 - Walmart.com
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 1 qt. - Walmart.com

Old 09-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Looks like the 105891 could be an older bottle.
Otherwise the 1 ltr and 5 litre look the same.
The weird part is the price... your saying the 105891 looks older but its more expensive

Old 10-23-2015, 12:43 PM

Mobile 1 is not what it used to be. It's now a Group III synthetic in the US. Of the Walmart oils, I would choose the Pennzoil Lube Plus, which is a Group III.5, and has higher detergents. Check out the Pennzoil website for details.

If you want the best synthetic, go with Amsoil or Redline (Group IV and V respectively).

Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by calvol
Mobile 1 is not what it used to be. It's now a Group III synthetic in the US. Of the Walmart oils, I would choose the Pennzoil Lube Plus, which is a Group III.5, and has higher detergents. Check out the Pennzoil website for details.

If you want the best synthetic, go with Amsoil or Redline (Group IV and V respectively).
so, which one of these has gone ONE MILLION MILES in a car? amsoil? nope. redline? nope. pennzoil? nope.

if you gonna talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk. note that AFTER completing the million miles, the engine was disassembled, and mic'd. no wear. what also is not known is that at just over 600k, the car blew a coolant hose, and the computer shut it down. the next day, the mobil engineers came in, coolant all over the floor, and the car shut down. they disassembled the engine, and found no wear. reassembled the engine, fired it up, and ran it to the million miles. i know someone who was involved in the test. i hear and see all kinds of posts, videos, yada, yada on why such and such oil is better than the rest. but only mobil had the ***** to run a car a million miles. it took 4 years. that's good enough for me

Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by keninn
so, which one of these has gone ONE MILLION MILES in a car? amsoil? nope. redline? nope. pennzoil? nope.

Mobil Million Mile BMW 325i - YouTube

if you gonna talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk. note that AFTER completing the million miles, the engine was disassembled, and mic'd. no wear. what also is not known is that at just over 600k, the car blew a coolant hose, and the computer shut it down. the next day, the mobil engineers came in, coolant all over the floor, and the car shut down. they disassembled the engine, and found no wear. reassembled the engine, fired it up, and ran it to the million miles. i know someone who was involved in the test. i hear and see all kinds of posts, videos, yada, yada on why such and such oil is better than the rest. but only mobil had the ***** to run a car a million miles. it took 4 years. that's good enough for me
Cream always rises to the top. Mobil 1 is the cream of the crop.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:31 PM

I think mobile 1 has changed its formula from what I have heard.
but yeah its still a great oil to use.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 PM

Mobil 1 is good, so is synthetic Castrol and Pennzoil and pretty much any other fully synthetic oil out there. For my part, I'll be using the Mazda branded high moly 0W-20 in our new Mazda3.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 PM

Our dealership is on the Castrol Diet. So is one of my 100K+ Mazda6, Truck runs Rotella, Bike runs Harley's brand, beater Mazda runs what ever is on sale. (still running strong at 145K.) Research, find what you like, and keep it changed on a regular interval. Done. If the research you do puts you in a line that runs a few $$$ more, oh well. The cost of a lubrication related breakdown is never cheap. Did I aready mention to keep it changed? Yes I did.

ok, i'm done

Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 PM

I only use synthetic oil in my cars because I find mineral oil just does
not have enough Zinc in it to protect the engine enough.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:50 PM

If you were to compare running your car with either Walmart's Supertech synthetic 5-30W. VS Mobile 1 5-30W change filter and oil every 5,000 miles for the next 10 years 250,000 total miles neither cars engine would have suffered and significant wear or had a mechanical break down due to the use of its properties or additives. The key is to change

Quick Reply: Whats the difference? (oil)