Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Turn Signal Flasher Location

Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Default Turn Signal Flasher Location

I'm needing to find the turn signal flasher so I can replace it with an aftermarket flasher so I can run LED turn signals. I read somewhere that it is located on an 04 3 behind the IC and its about 1x2 inches and white. I am having no luck finding it in the car, and even All Data isn't helping me any. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. A pic of it would be great, or even a diagram. Thanks, Scott.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Turn Signal Flasher Location

Damn Scott, that was an old post of mine you found. I think I posted that on Mz3F.com, right?
I never did find or replace the OE flasher, no one had answer for me either, but think I saw the white box when looking under at the instrument cluster one day. Impossible to reach w/o removal of it, and so since I wasn't sure of my facts I let it go. (<<< LAZY!!!)
I am running LEDs in the rear and am using 6 ohm resisters. They are working just fine. The brake/running lights don"t require a resister.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

There is no flasher relay on the Mz3. The turn signals/hazards and even the sound are electronically controlled by the car's computer. If you want to add LED turn signals and avoid the quick-flash you get with the LED's decreased resistance you need to install load equalizers at the lights themselves.

Oh and while typing this I accidentally flipped my firefox into "night" mode...... basically all the colors inverted so everything that was white is now black, my text is white, and the purple forum banner is green....... anyone know how I managed that? lol

Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well! Look at you!! After 2-3 yrs of wondering where the little sucker was, here you had the answer all the time. I figured that one day I'd take the instrument cluster out for some reason and find it there, but you just saved me the trouble.
I wonder how the heck the ECU does that? And why bother? Wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to install a flasher relay?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Technically I haven't had the answer for 2-3 years.... I think I only learned that in the last six months or so. That being said I did get to sound all smart. :P

Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Yeah, that was where I found it. Sorry it took so long for me to reply, but just like you Richard, I wasn't getting notifications of this thread.....good thing I ran across it today. The 2 questions that remain are do I need to install a resistor for the third brake light? I was reading somewhere that you need one to stop it from flashing when the brake is applied (doesn't sound too legit to me). As for my other question, do I need one for the side markers as well, i.e. the repeaters?

Old 09-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I was running LED bulbs in the rear for several years, then installed the XenonMods 3rd brake light and all of a sudden my cruise control would disengage when I used the turn signals. In short, yes, if you are going all the way w/LEDs, you will need a resister somewhere in there.

Name:  IMG_0108W.jpg
Views: 14447
Size:  32.2 KB Name:  IMG_0109W.jpg
Views: 18589
Size:  41.7 KB

Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 PM

They have the resister built in mine I am guessing, since it came with the LED third brake light. I am hoping it is built in before the running/brake light bulbs since I am switching then over soon.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

It shouldn"t (?) matter since they are on the same circuit, but since they come w/tungsten filiment bulbed running/tailights, that would be your resister.
If you change over to all LEDs you will probably need to install one.
What I have, what you see there, is nothing more than a 20w 8ohm resister from RS (I already had it in my box)installed in some plumbers strap to a screw that was already there and grounded.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 PM

I know I will have to put the load resister in turn signals, since I think I am going to change all including the Repeaters to LED lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signal Flasher Location