Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Tire chains or cables?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Default Tire chains or cables?

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 hatchback and need to get her set up for a trip to Lake Tahoe NV next month.

1. Does the car handle better with chains or cables?
2. If you've purchased either, please let me know where you purchased them?

Thanks

Old 11-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

First let me say that I have never used either. But from what I know and understand about those options, I would definitely go with the cables.
Neither will "handle" well.
Chains are difficult to install and get loose. This causes them to slap around which can cause body damage, or even rip out the plastic inner fender wells.
Cables usually come as a set that are individually installed through the wheel instead of around it. This makes them far easier to install when needed. Even if they loosen up a bit, they are far less likely to cause the damage that chains can.

As for where to buy? I might check Amazon.com or JCWhitney for them. I don't think these are as popular as they once were and you may have some difficulty and need some time to get them.

Just my .02. I hope it helps.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah you cannot use link-chains on the Mz3. Cable chains are suitable for going to Tahoe, thought Calitrans does reserve the right to decide when they'll only accept link-chains depending on weather/temp/etc. All cable chains I've used (granted this has been on trucks) still wrap around the tread and have tensioners that secure the sides..... so they're still like a big "H" with the crossbars going over the tread, not through the wheel itself. Even with cable chains you could still cause damage to the fender wells or to the wheels themselves.

Another option for you would be one of the plastic/rubber wrap around styles. The chain laws state you can use any "tire traction device" when it says chains (again they can decide to accept only chain-type if it's bad enough..... and if it is you don't want to be driving a 3 into it anyway). Check out some of these devices.

www.spikes-spiders.com

www.flextrax.com

The upside of the sno/goclaws is that you can put them on without having to move the vehicle vs. the typical apply, pull forward, apply, drive, adjust, drive

Last edited by icspots; 11-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:34 AM
Default Spider Spikes work for Mazda 3 snow driving

Hi All- I was pretty frustrated when I found that neither cables, chains, or flex-trak worked for the Mazda 3 driving in the snow (dues to the low wheel clearance). I didn't want to buy snow tires because I don't drive up to the snow that often and quite frankly, I'm lazy, I'm not going to go change out (or pay someone) to change out my tires everytime I want to drive up to the snow.

All to say, I'm very happy to report that Spider Spikes work great! They are easy to put on and there is no issue with the wheel clearance. Yay! Finally!

I went with the replacement lug nut version of the Spider Spikes rather than the fix clip. Also, Scott at Spider Spike was super duper helpful.

Welcome to Spikes-Spider

Happy adventuring!

-Paige