Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Speed3 cat-back on Regular MaZda 3 hatchback.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Default Speed3 cat-back on Regular MaZda 3 hatchback.

Is it a good a idea to put on a speed 3 catback onto a 2.3 liter hatch.?
would i run into any problems?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MazN00B3
Is it a good a idea to put on a speed 3 catback onto a 2.3 liter hatch.?
would i run into any problems?
As I understand it, the Speed 3 catback will literally bolt right in. The question is, why would you bother?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM

why do you ask if i should bother? will is be kinda pointless?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM

why do you ask if i should bother? will is be kinda pointless?
About the only "gain" I can think of that you will get from changing your exhaust is a bit more noise. Beyond that, yup, it is completely pointless from a performance perspective.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Will a performance gain be produced from a complete exhuast system?
Which do you recommend in the case of also creative a nice sound, not to "ricer" and performance?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Will a performance gain be produced from a complete exhuast system?
Which do you recommend in the case of also creative a nice sound, not to "ricer" and performance?
The stock exhaust does a pretty good job as it is; adding an aftermarket system, even from the cylinder head back isn't likely to bring any real gain (and may well hurt fuel economy). That said, if you want to invest in a forced induction system for the other side of the motor, then the exhaust will pay dividends.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM

I know that for the sedan i had to extend it in two different areas, for the hatch you may or may not have to do the same. Performance....well with the stock header still in place you will notice better response low end if you hit it from a roll, but if u combo with an aftermarket header, top end (what little there is) will notice a little pick up, but low end will kinda suffer but still better than stock.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 PM

The kid thats selling it to me said something about having to spot weld the hanger back on and something about cutting part of it.
he is asking 150 for the cat-back from the MS3, that seem too much?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 PM

those exhaust go like hotcakes, its a common upgrade for a n/a 3 and 150 is a pretty good price for it, but yes in order to install or remove the exhaust you have to cut a reweld also look into getting stiffer hanger mounts from corksport because the exhaust will bang against the lower control arm quite often

Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tracker
those exhaust go like hotcakes, its a common upgrade for a n/a 3 and 150 is a pretty good price for it, but yes in order to install or remove the exhaust you have to cut a reweld also look into getting stiffer hanger mounts from corksport because the exhaust will bang against the lower control arm quite often
I ended up getting it for 125, It is missing two hangers, cut in the middle needs to be welded , and where the "flange" (dont know if i spelled that right) was is cut off also.
I found somewhere to do the entire job for 100$, including straight piping one of the resonators.

P.S. I am new to this site, is quoting somewheres last post considered proper? i see it a lot and dont know why?

Quick Reply: Speed3 cat-back on Regular MaZda 3 hatchback.