Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Slow at picking up speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Default Slow at picking up speed

I've had my 3 for about 10 months now and noticed that its kind of slow picking up speed. I would usually get left behind unless i step on the gas a little more. I took it to the dealer and they said everything was fine. I have the mazda3i (automatic) model and was wondering if all the I models are like this and if there are ways to fix it. thanks.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Slow at picking up speed

I have the 06 3i w/automatic. I have noticed it is a little slow off the start as well, unless I punch it to the floor. I have noticed though that while driving in manual mode, I can get a faster start off the line. with it in first, I can get it up to areound 5000rpm's and then punch the gas up to about 6500 and then drop it to second gear and be about 60mph. it is a great car, and more fun to drive than my other car. I wish i would have gotten the 2.3 litre engine though.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:42 PM

I drive mine in manual all the time and from what i have noticed is that the 2nd gear isnt that great and my forth gear is partically useless. so in short there is nothing wrong with the car its just the way they set the power at the 2nd gear.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:12 PM

I've noticed that the mazda 3 drives like it has a turbo on it...really slow off the start, then whammy it just takes off..it doesn't have a smooth linear power band. Also you have to realize, this car is going to be alittle slow..sheesh it only has 2.3 liters..most soft drinks from 7-11 have more liters than that! I go from my cobra to my mazda, and i have to remember which car i'm in,..it's a different kinda fast,..still a ton of fun none the less. I also get more "zoom" outta my car by using the manual shift mode as well. My car is a Mazda 3 hatchback 2006 Grand touring. Black. Pics soon to come.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM

Well my 06 Mazda 3 as shown feels like this, quick off the start and medium to slow pace going into 2nd and reaching max speed in 3rd when i drive manual.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2810/8555155465EE41B8BEF817A8529C1925.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2006, 01:44 AM
Lev

I have the 2.3 liter and it really doesn't feel any different than the 2.0 liter. When i put mine in manual mode it performs a lot better, especially at higher rpms like any other car. one thing that pisses me off about the 3 is it constantly goes to higher gears. When you are at low speeds it constantly has to down shift when you accelerate, my dad's bimmers stay in their gears until they reach a higher rpm thats why they feel more torquey and speed up faster. I know you cant compare a bimmer with a mazda but they should at least make it stay in its gear longer especially at lower speeds. but otherwise i love the car.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 AM

thats true, and even while driving in manual it will still downshift from 4th to 3rd and i have to shift right back up to 4th again when i get up to about 85-90mph range. i was driving one day and before i really stepped on the gas i downshifted to 3rd, then punched it, at about 75mph, and the car downshifted to 2nd and threw my rpm's way up and the rev limiter kicked in for a second before i could get back up to 3rd gear. i didnt like that really. but it is a great car to drive.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM

that has only happened to me in auto mode never happened to me before in manual, is it supposed to do that?

Old 01-31-2006, 01:31 PM

i am not really sure, i know driving in manual mode and slowing down it will downshift on its own back to first if you dont do it, i am not sure about when trying to go faster if it is supposed to downshift so you get higher rpm's. i will check with my dealership and find out.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:58 AM

I can tell you how to fix it. Mazda could care less how fast you want to go. They just want to sale the car. Point being the delaership I went to said this problem is normal! So I had to figure out the fix myself. I didnt figure it out till a few days ago thanks to a post in another forum. The biggest fix I found on my 03 Mazda 3 2.3L Auto is to fix the battery ground wire. It is about 2 feet long and goes from teh battery to the left tire well. You will see that the black wire is screwed down to the frame. Unsrew it and notice that there is paint under the screw. There is no way you will get good electricity flow throw paint. So scrape the paint off so you will have bare metal touching metal. Screw the wire back and find that your Mazda 3 now has no stall or hesitation. Its by far the best and biggest fix I made to my car. Got rid of all the stalling and hestitation the delaership said was "normal"

Pic from another post from this forum http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=33092.0
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 5934
Size:  54.0 KB

Quick Reply: Slow at picking up speed