Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Sloppy shifting in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Default Sloppy shifting in 2nd gear

I have a 2006 Mazda3, Sport 2.3 with the 5-speed auto transmission (only about 12,500 miles so far).

On cold starts, I'm getting a slight hesitation in first gear before it shifts to second. It becomes more noticeable the more I accelerate while in first gear. By the time I do couple of starts and stops to get out of our subdivision, it's completely smoothed out and working fine. Also (and here's the kicker), when the car is almost stopped, but still in second gear, I'm also getting what feels like a slight hesitation in second gear (at all times regardless of whether it's warmed up or not) when trying to accelerate. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm using manual shifting or not.

I'm planning to take it to the dealer to get checked out, but I thought I'd stop by here first, in case anybody else has had this problem or has any ideas as to what the issue could be.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Default RE: Sloppy shifting in 2nd gear

i have the same thing with my mazda tiptronic.. i notice when its cold out it shifts hard from first to second but as the car warms up u cant notice it anymore...sometimes i happens if like u hesitate on the pedal for a second almost if ur at the rpms for the shift but not quite...i just assumed it was crappy shifting that messed up the gears by the previous owner...but keep me informed on what the dealer says when u bring it in coz im curious to know what the actual problem is

Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 PM

its because your engine is cold. My altima does that and sometimes it will jerk while going at idle, that's also because its electronic and sometimes if you move your foot hard enough or at a certain spot on the accelerator the car will act in a diff way....but thats some info that my mind is just telling me i have nothing to back this up.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 AM

next time buy a manual

[/align]

Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 PM

As soon as I get it to the dealers, I'll let you know what the deal is deer3. Thanks for the input deer3 and 2.0Mazda08.

Sheesh npoll212! How insightful.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Nebfire

... Sheesh npoll212! How insightful.
Yeah. He's a one-of-a-kind, isn't he?

j/k Nebfire, as I'm surenpoll212 was too. Welcome to the group!!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Have you tried doing burnouts before you leave? it seems to help top fuel cars.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Lev

I have an 05 2.3 and it has a harsh shift from first to second when the engine hasn't warmed up all the way.I put it in manual and shift at 3000rpm or a little higher for the smoothest shift. I thought i messed up my transmission and that's why it kicked, but im glad im not the only one experiencing this.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 PM

ok did you let the car warm up at all before you left? the tranny fluid does get cold and thinkens up so that might be it, and the other obvious question is did you check your levels? could be low? sorry for the simple answers but always check the dumb things first. might be a real real easy fix, good luck tho

Old 04-05-2008, 03:06 PM

Yes, checking the fluid level was the first thing I did. The shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold is actually quite subtle. It's not a problem at all. I just figured a new Mazda3 with only 12,500 miles should shift without being noticed, even when cold. It's the rather sloppy shifting in 2nd that is more of a concern. If the trans is in 2nd and the car is almost stopped (but still in 2nd gear) and I accelerate, it tends to lumber or feel mushy for a couple of seconds before kicking in. Since the display shows the gear the trans is shifting to a second or two before it acutally shifts, maybe the car is really in 3rd and it's in the process of shifting down to 2nd in order to acelerate. It's just a little distracting. I plan to check it out a little longer before bringing it into the dealer.

Anyway, now that I'm done complaining, this car is still an absolute blast to drive. All said and done, I buy it again.

Thanks all

Quick Reply: Sloppy shifting in 2nd gear