Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Replaced windshield, auto wipers not working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Default Replaced windshield, auto wipers not working?

Good day folks,

I have a 2010 3 GT and the other day i replaced the windshield at a local auto glass shop, they installed the proper windshield with the rain sensor hookup and since it has been replaced the auto wipers do not seem to be working. I brought it back today and they ordered a whole new windshield, tomorrow they are going to look at it and see if they can fix it and they are willing to drop a new windshield in if need be. Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue

Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM

first time ive ever heard of it

Old 07-22-2011, 11:40 AM

I haven't pulled the sensor off my car, but I did pull one off of a jag. It had some goo under the sensor / windshield interface and if that wasn't there it would cause issues.

How the sensor works is by bouncing light off of the glass from the inside. Normally it passes through the glass and reflects back to a known position. If there's rain on the area, it reflects back to a different location. So if there's contamination, air bubbles, greasy fingerprints - any of that in the sensor area would cause a problem.

Another thing, I put rain X on my windshield, and that effects the performance, shrinking the on time (makes it think there's rain when there isn't) to some extent. When it's dry out there's no problem, but it's more sensative with the rain x than without. So you can wipe the windshield with alcohol / windex to clean off any external residue and see if that changes anything.

They could have broken a wire / contact in the connector, or something else when they did the repair.

Good luck, and don't let them walk away without the sensor working the same as it used to.