Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Questions Re: Mazda 3 5-door

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Default Questions Re: Mazda 3 5-door

I'm looking to buy a Mazda 3 5-door, and I have a few questions for those of you that have this car...

I was thinking I would get the speed version of the car, but I want to be sure that I don't get stuck with $90 oil changes because it takes synthetic oil (I have VW Passat with the turbo engine).
Also, for those that have had service issues, is it a hassle to get parts? I know going to the dealer is going to cost money anyway, but VW seemed to be more pricey than any other car I've had.
Do Ford employees get a discount?

What are the "downsides" to this car, if any?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Default RE: Questions Re: Mazda 3 5-door

i thought the speed3 required regular oil? altho i may be thinking about the rx8.

$90 oil changes?! HA! i have the 2.0L, and my oil changes cost me $60 or so. and its every 4 months or 8000 km's.

and does the speed3 suit you? whatis your reasoning to wanting it? everything about the car is amazing.
also, if your looking at getting a fully loaded GT, with luxury package, you might as wel get the speed3, as its only a couple grand more.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I have an '04 HB and to put it into words.... I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Most fun, exciting car I've owned in 20 years, since my 1980 Honda Civic LITERALLY rusted out from under me.... It killed me to sell that car for $100 as a parts car/junker, but all fun things come to an end too no matter how much you want to save them. That was the lesson I had learned w/that car.
If I had the financialopportunity to trade up to a Speed, or Turbo the one I had already (though not really financially practical) I would do it in a heartbeat.
If I were starting over... shopping for my perfect 3 HB, I'd would not hesitate to get a Speed3. The relatively small difference in price is worth the differences in performance ten fold.

Does that answer your question?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

BTW: I run full synth (Castrol Syn-Tech 5w-20 is my latest) in my N/A 3. I replace the filter after every 5K miles and still it doesn't cost nearly that much. And ifdid, I'd pay it anyway.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:15 PM

And I know you get S-plan (I used an X-Plan Pin from Navistar to get mine) on a normal M3, don't know about the Speed3 though,

Old 01-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

I was so naive when I purchased mine.I have the Ford S plan available from my work, but didn't think about it, or thatMazda's were eligible. (DUH!!)
Ah well, I got a good APR anyway (excellent credit.)

Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 AM

you also gotta think though. the regular h/b takes regular fuel... the speed3 takes premium which could kill you in the long run.. not to mention that yea im pretty sure because its got a turbo it needs more then just regular oil. i think it would need synthetic... not too sure but thats because i have a 2.0 and it takes regular oil and regular gas.. cost for me to get my oil done at mazda is 45 bucks haha.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Idon't think so, Tim. I could be wrong but am not aware that Mazdarecommends synths in any of it's current offerings. Plus, modern regular oils are fine in turbo cars, though most would recommend a turbo-timer in any case.

As far as fuel is concerned, I had a coworker who's wife bought an '07 HB. He swears the owners manual states premium fuel ONLY.
I've told him he's nuts, but he said they looked again.He's not a stupid guy, actually one of the smarter ppl I've worked withand I'm sure would not want to put in $3.26 gas over $2.96 gas if he didn't think they had to, but I've never heard of this before he said something about it.
Can anyone, with or w/o an '07+ n/a 2.3L, comment on this?
Could it be the DISI that requires Premium?'07's have the DISI, right?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 AM

all i gotta say is HURRAY FOR 2.0 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOL. and i thought you had to put synthetic oil in a high performance engine like the mazdaspeed3? no? and consider this.. at least its not you putting premium. my mom and dad have 2 ACURA MDX's and sooo lets see its 1.00 a litre right now for regular... by summer it will be at 1.50 and thennnn thats like what 1.75 a litre or something. my parents are well not screwed but their gas will cost more then their insurance!! lucky my dads company pays for his gas lol.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

After modding my Honda, especially re-curving the timing to advance much quicker, I also had to use premium in that car. But it had more power, was much more fun to drive and my mileage actually went up by 4 (28>32mpg @ 70mph, ~110kph,EVERYWHERE,) so I figured it costme about the same in fuel, allin all.I wasn't sorry at all.

Quick Reply: Questions Re: Mazda 3 5-door