Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Purge Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Default Purge Valve

So, on the way home last night, sitting at a stop light my 3[/b] sputters and then the check engine light comes on. Man what a pain in the freakin’ ****!! Call up the dealer and get the "lovely Susan" (extremesarcasm)on the phone. I described what has happened and her first response is that I didn't put the gas cap on correctly after I just filled up. Well there is just one problem... My last fill up was over a week ago and the needle reads between 1/2 and 1/4 of a tank. She still insists that it is because I put the cap on incorrectly. I insist that she give me an appointment so theycan pullthe code and fix what ever is wrong.

I drop my 3[/b] off this morning and three hours later, I get a voicemail from the "lovely Susan"advising me my precious 3[/b] is ready for pickup.

I walk into the Service area to reclaim my car and take this opportunity to ask the "lovely Susan" what caused the engine warning light to illuminate...

Gee imagine that.... it turned out to be the Purge Valve and not the gas cap!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Default RE: Purge Valve

The run would really have to rise from the west if we had a knowledgeable Mazda dealer. I remembered my dealings with my dealership on the "moaning" rear brakes (happens in damp cold mornings in backup). The service rep is fairly knowledgeable, and he technically explained it why it happens. I then said it was still abnormal and needed correction, I mean someone can explain why an engine mount had gone bad perfectly, but it does not take away the need to fix it. Sigh......

I am really glad it was a quick fix for you.

________
Park Royal 2 Condo

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Lev

Win. Were they able to fix the brake sqeal? I went to the dealer and he told me i needed to get new rotors for the problem to be fixed and it wasn't covered under warranty. This was two years ago when i was a lot less knowledgable about these types of things.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 AM

I'm glad too. For anyone who may be curious,these are the codes that came up: P0455 and P2187.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 AM

the "gas cap" solution is very common
sort of reminds me when ever I hear anyones story about calls for tech service on their pc.
the phone techs answer for every problem is to wipe the hard disk
and for this, people pay extra for service contracts
btw
I had the same issue last yr, and they gave me the same gas cap answer
but, to their credit, they did suggest I bring it in at my earliest convenience.
earliest convenience, because as long as the engine lite wasn't flashing, the problem wasnt too serious, yet

Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

I got code P2177 last year, engine lean off idle. The car wasn't driving badly, just the CEL. Got the code read at Auto Zone, and told the dealer what it was. They did say there were still several things it could be but didn't bring up the gas cap (different code). Ended up being a stuck purge valve.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Lev

Win. Were they able to fix the brake sqeal? I went to the dealer and he told me i needed to get new rotors for the problem to be fixed and it wasn't covered under warranty. This was two years ago when i was a lot less knowledgable about these types of things.
No, they repeatedly said it was normal. I contested, and we agreed to check the rear brakes at the next oil change. I believe it's the property of the rear pad material. Anyone know the rear pad material?
________
Ocean View Condominiums Pattaya

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

First of all, nhlatl, do you have a 3i? It seems (from my reading) that they have this "kind of"problem more often than other models and it also seemsthat either 0the purge valve, or fuel pumpis often blamed for it, so I'mcurious.

Win, I COMPLETELY agree w/your comment about the earth rotating East to West to find a competent dealer.
When I complained about the rear brake dust on my car, the Service Mgr told me, "that is completely backwards! It's the front disc brakes that see more dust, because they do 70+% of the work!"

I informed him that having worked w/Volvo's and BMW's that had disc brakes back in '68...long before the American companies, or even the Japanesethought it a good idea, I was VERY aware ofthat being the normbut that none the less the dust build-upwas ten times greater on the rear. Ihad towipe down the wheels every 2-3 days!!!
He kept on repeated the same Mantra at least4 times and I finally just gave up. He treated me like a moron, but I KNOW that it was he that was playing dumb.
I think that was the last time I went to the dealer for anything. And they (dealers in general) wonder why their business is off.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Yep. Have the 3i Touring.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 PM

THATS MY CODEE! P2187 IS THAT THE PURGE VALVE? where is it located? EUREKA!!!

Quick Reply: Purge Valve