Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Programming on top of Key Coding

Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Exclamation Programming on top of Key Coding

Hey Mazda enthusiasts!

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 i and I have to replace the ignition switch cylinder, then obviously get a key re-coded.

My question sorta has to do with the coding, I spoke to the dealership and they said that on top of coding I would need my car to be programmed (which means I would have to get my car towed to the dealership, and no I do not have triple a, so this is something i'm hoping doesnt need to happen) but a mechanic (who specializes in electrical) said that's not the case with my car, that I'll just need the key coded to the switch.

If anyone has a clear answer to this question, I'd sure be grateful.

Does my car need to be programmed on top of having the key coded to the ignition switch?

Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Assuming you're retaining the original key ( to match the door barrels) & If you're just replacing the barrel, then you reuse the " Transponder antenna" ( immobilizer code reader ) and code the barrel to your existing key.

If you're changing the key as well, then the new keys need to be coded to the immobilizer system. ( you will need 2 )