Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Free Mod Myths

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Default Free Mod Myths

Decided to make a thread about the free mods that people have tried on our cars, to decide whether they work or not or what other things they may affect.

Throttle body ground: FAKE
Here's the thing, depending on where additional grounds are placed they are supposed to surpres electrical surges that may give the ECU false readings depending on where they occur. In order for a grounding system to work the ground must be connected to an unpainted surface that has current running across it or high voltage inside, an example is an alternator. What makes this not work is a couple of things, one is that the throttle plate is completely controlled by the PCM therefore the only way we could even begin to control the response of the throttle is to use a voltage signal modifier or an aftermarket EMU.

Throttle body coolant bypass: Good, depending on area
The stock intake plumbing although is a cold-air, is horrible at heat dissipation (among other things), so even though the incoming air is colder once it passes the filter it starts to absorb the heat coming off trans and engine it starts to become hotter, then once it reaches the hot throttle body because the hot coolant is heating it the air is much more hotter. The coolant running though the throttle body does nothing more than keep the plate hot so it wont stick or freeze.....in extreme conditions, so unless you live in a state that is constantly 90degree plus or close to 10degrees, this little trick can help keep the air charge cooler.

Monzsta Timing Mod: Works (Not really)
This is a little tricky, for who those that dont know, there is an adjustable slider next to our crankshaft, moving the slider up or down is supposed to advance or retard your timing. The problem is this.....its an OBDII car, even though you are able to change timing by moving the CKP (crank position sensor) the computer is still able to readjust the timing into what it sees fit. Many factors are going to make this little trick work and not work, i had advanced my timing but i dont know by how much a very long time ago, until recently i found out that my timing was advanced 9degrees but i dont know if any had been pulled since i beat the crap outta my motor but what i do know is that this trick does work if your motor is running fine. If you adv timing and something happens where you start to knock then its going to be retarded. Advancing your timing will cause internal combustion temps to rise a bit and normal cheap plugs may become inefficient alot sooner, this mod will work just fine if your looking for a little more response (not power) out of your motor.

A/C Delete: Not necessary
This is the most mis-understood thing people like to do. People like to think that by getting rid of your a/c or trying to find a lightened pulley that somehow it make you rev faster, heres the thing...the a/c system doesnt even take any power from your motor unless its in use, if your a/c is not on then the pulley is just free wheeling not doing any harm. The only reason why you should consider to do it is if you NEVER use it (which the unit it still needed for better heater operation) or (not in our cars) you need space for something, those are the only two reasons.

Last edited by Tracker; 06-06-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:58 AM

If anyone has any questions about other free mods, ask away and ill update in the 1st post

Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

What about the Monzsta advanced timing mod?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 AM

Updated

Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 PM

I've heard getting better plugs, and supposedly if you put water in your radiator. Like mixing 50% coolant and 50% water?

Old 06-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by timk125
I've heard getting better plugs, and supposedly if you put water in your radiator. Like mixing 50% coolant and 50% water?
And...?
You've only posted half a thought there, Tim.
Most new cars have lifetime coolant installed form the factory as part of the green effort. You should not need to change it for quite a while.
50/50 is the usual mix ratio for coolant, but only as a guide.
Always consult the owners manual to be sure that's what the manufacturer recommends before "assuming."

Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 PM

yep, as for the better plugs, its a hit or miss my stock plugs crapped out in 20k miles....freakin bosch. NGK's are still the preferred brand

Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM

I thought this was a thread for debunking mod myths. I was just throwing one out that I read about. My apologies.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by timk125
I thought this was a thread for debunking mod myths. I was just throwing one out that I read about. My apologies.

Well it is. No reason to apologize, I just didn't understand your post... what your point was.
Tracker, Bosch used to make good plugs and other things too. They used to be among the best, but I don't know what's happened to them lately though.
I have also found that Nippo's work better in some cars than the NGK's that they may have come w/from the factory.
It seems very much to depend on the vehicle/engine as to whether one brand of plug works better than another... from my personal experience.
Heck I going crazy on plugs w/one car I owned and found that Motocraft worked better than the recommended NGK's!! This is not to say that don't like and respect NGK's, just in the proper application.
My OE's are still chugging along @ 56k miles?? I'll probably replace them before too much longer though.

Tim, I have heard that the highly advertised E3 plugs can foul rather quickly in our cars at least. I don;t have any personal experience, just what I've read.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dbmazda
You could gut the air box:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=322049

Cut the ground off your spark plugs:
http://performanceunlimited.com/docu...degapping.html

Could adjust the BUTTERFLY VALVE.
My 1990 Nissan 240sx was not full open. I had to grind down the stop tab on the throttle body. Mazda is ok on this but you never know till you look.

Gut cats? That is a big can of worms!
I cover it on my site, on CATALYTIC CONVERTER part. To much to say on that!
http://www.angelfire.com/me4/dugbugwap/cartips.html

Other than that I don't know.

Putting another hole on your stock air box would only help a little, but instead of chopping up the stock box you could just get a make-shift short ram instead.

NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR cut off the ground of your spark plugs, all it does is just ask for major preignition, when removing the ground or making it smaller will make the spark more uncontrolled and let the spark travel through your head and may even cause failure to a C.O.P system.

Removing the butterflies in the intake mani would help with top end, but a severe loss of low end tq, plus a cel.

Gutting cats is another bad idea, esp in a car that relies on backpressure to get its tq assist (what little it has).

Last edited by Tracker; 06-19-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Free Mod Myths