Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

OBD Code Reader

Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Default OBD Code Reader

I have purchased an universal OBDII Code REader for my MAZDA3a couple months ago, http://www.alpha-bid.com/storefrontp...646&i=70447176 this is the same type i had but it was universal, anyways, pluged it into 16 pin OBD unit under my driver's side dash, gives me a sign "ERROR" I didn't have an Engine light, so tried it on Honda Accord 2000 that did, the same thing "ERROR", didn't ready anything, than i sent the unit back, seller says it was not capable reading Japanese type engines, so sends me a better unit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-EOB...QQcmdZViewItem , just received it today, tested it on my car and the same thing "ERROR", no signs such as "NO CODES", but "ERROR", well my questions is
1. What type of OBD is on the Mazda3, 2006?
2. Is the OBD reader falty?
3. Is MAzda3, OBD connector not functioning?
Some help please, I will be testing it on some other cars later on today, which have Engine light, to make sure it is not OBD reader.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Default RE: OBD Code Reader

For the most part, the ODBII code readers cannot read foreign engines, due to the different wiring architecture. here is a link to a company that says there readers can read up to 95% of japanese engine trouble codes. http://www.rennacs.com/

I have never used one so i cant say if it works or not, but you can give it a try

Old 04-10-2006, 06:32 PM

I have checked it out and the price is way too much for me to afford, all i needed is a code reader so i could be able to figure out what is the problem and fix it. Thanks anyways.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:14 PM

Would have to disagree about OBDII scan tools not being able to read codes on Japanese cars. The three major points in the goverment mandating the adoption of OBDII are these.

#1 All trouble codes mean the same thing on every vehicle. For example, a P0301 cylinder #1 missfire detected, is same code and means the same thing on Mazda, Honda, Ford, Cadillac, or Ferrari.
#2 The diagnostic connector must be in the same relative location (drivers footwell ) and be the same design, pin number, and pin designation.
#3 Code output compatibility needs to be universal so that all scan tools can have same access that factory computers do.

The scanner in the link advertises that it scan Japanese codes back to 1983. That dates back to pre-OBDI when each manufacturer had all different codes and connectors to access them anyplace in the vehicle and any shape immaginable.

I have heard that some scan tools do not work on some product but that is probably due to quality of the tool and not vehicle communication design. You might try going to a parts store that does complimentary OBDII scan, have them try it on yours and if works fine, then purchase that tool. Might even ask them if they have to use different scanners at times due to incompatibility.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:06 AM

Ok, tonight i have tested on my Mazda again, and "ERROR", well like i said it is a japanese car, than i tried on my brothers Buick Park Avenue 97', got the codes right the way, I guess it is either American car capatible only or because later versions of Mazda are little different and my new code reader doesn't work. Eaither tomorrow or on thursday i will go to auto parts and look for a unit which will work on my car. thanks.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:46 PM

i have tried 3 different code readers and could not find one that works. could you tell me when you find one that works?

Old 07-14-2006, 03:31 PM

Honestlly i still have that replacement which i have received from seller, this reader is great, the only problem is not the reader, it is the OBD2 in Mazda 3 or Mazda 3 has changed something that you may need special Code reader to read Mazda3 codes. My code reader has read
1. Porsche Cayenne S 2005
2. Toyota Matrix 2006
3. Honda Civic 2004
4. Mercedese CL500 2002
5. VW GLI 1997
6. Buick Park Avenue 1997
7. Mazda Protege5 2004
8. Mercury ***** 2002
9. Honda Accord 2000
10. Ford Focus 2004
11. Mitsubishi Lancer ES 2006

Cars it didn't read:
1. Mazda 3s Hatch 2006[:@] Maybe because i do not have any codes, i may have to make one and than try to make it work
2. VW Passat 2006

P.S. there is a way to read your Codes, i do not know if it is possible on 1996+ models, but i did it on Corolla 1994. On the OBD plug there are 16pins, i do not know which one is for, but if you find out, you can simply connect a wire from one pin to another, and your engine light will start to blink, there is a strategy to it but i cannot remember.