Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New Wheel Bearing on 05 Mazda 3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Default New Wheel Bearing on 05 Mazda 3?

Hi All,

My car is making a clicking noise after I drive it for about 8 miles. The clicking occurs all the time (after I reach 8 miles), but stops when I hit the breaks.

Initially I have taken the car into Mazda, and they told me I had warped routers. I paid for that repair, only to have the noise return a couple days later.

Mazda has now supposedly identified the source of the problem -- both rear wheel bearings are going bad. Does this sound right?

Also, they gave me a quote of $197 for each wheel bearing (not including labor). This price seems a bit inflated to me, as I read elsewhere that parts and labor typically range around the $200 mark. Anyone have any input, or perhaps can direct me to a site that sells OEM Mazda parts for less than the dealership??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:33 PM

I have never heard of a wheel bearing clicking.
When a bearing is on the way out, you feel a vibration , acompanied by a growling noise.
What your problem sounds like is a loose or cracked brake pad.
You should also look at a loose brake caliper.
I would bet the farm it is not a wheel bearing.
Bob.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Lev

I think i had a similar problem. I too have an 05 3. I went to the dealership to get my rear brake pads changed. After they were changed, i heard rattling. when i would press my brakes the rattling stopped. I went back to the dealership 4 times to have it checked out, and everytime i would leave, there would still be a rattle. They changed my bearings and a few other stuff. Luckily the car was still under warranty. After the 4th time i drove around the dealership to listen for a rattle. Low and behold it still rattled. I Asked the mechanic to sit in the passenger seat and listen to it. After the ride, he brought it back into the shop. Fifteen minutes later he comes out and said there was a rock somewhere. I didn't believe him, because the rattling sounded like something loose, not a rock. As long as the rattling stopped, i didn't care what his excuse was for poor workmanship. I'm sure that when they replaced my brakes they didn't do a great job. The noise started happening after the brakes were changed. I'm thinking it was a loose brake caliper. The point of the story is don't trust the dealership. They say they fixed the problem, but they just cause other problems to keep you coming back. I haven't gone to a Mazda dealer since i got the brakes changed 2 years ago. I recommend you find a mechanic you can trust. That's what i did. Oh yeah, what made them think warped rotors would cause the clicking? I had warped front rotors, and all i felt was the steering wheel shake when i pressed the brakes. Don't go back to that dealership. They're idiots.
Good luck

Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM

the cv boots maybe. on my lst car, it cracked and the grease leaked out, causing a clicking noise.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 PM

From what I know the CV joint would make a squeeling also, I wouldn't think those would be worn so soon.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07
From what I know the CV joint would make a squeeling also, I wouldn't think those would be worn so soon.
I had to replace the transmission at 48,000 miles, and had 3 different axles put in... luckily it was covered under warranty.

My point though, the tranny should not need replaced at 48,000 miles. At this point...anything goes.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lev
I recommend you find a mechanic you can trust. That's what i did. Oh yeah, what made them think warped rotors would cause the clicking? I had warped front rotors, and all i felt was the steering wheel shake when i pressed the brakes.
Good luck
I don't know very much about cars, so I have no idea why they thought it warped rotors. But the solution was moderately inexpensive compared to the potential other "problems" they could have come up with, so I went for it.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:03 AM

front end noise is something that cant really be diagnosed over the net, its something a tech has to feel/hear, front end noise and vibrations could be a number of things ranging from cv joints, worn pads or rotors, broken wrist pin, a rock , i know that isnt something you really want to hear.

As for the price if i get the chance i could look it up at school (we have all data) and see how hard it is to replace and general price for a wheel bearing (if you thinks thats the problem)

Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 AM
ISW

I just had a similar problem. Had all four rotors and pads replaced due to salt damage, then a rattling noise began to occur on bumpy roads.

Check your shocks. The plastic sleeves that protects the struts had loosened. I took the car in twice before they were able to fix it! They sprayed some kind of stiffening agent into the sleeves and it was fixed for no charge!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Usually, and in most cars the wheel bearings will be a growling/whining/humming noise that will get louder with speed and usually stop while braking. Ive had the transmission at 90,000 miles and both rear wheel bearings around 65,000-70,000 yay for 100,000 mile warranty

Quick Reply: New Wheel Bearing on 05 Mazda 3?