Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New Mazda 3 skyactiv road noise.. Sounds like an airplane !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Default New Mazda 3 skyactiv road noise.. Sounds like an airplane !!!!

Hi all,

I have just got my new 2012 Mazda3 skyactiv 2.0, itouring 5 door, the hatchback model.

As long as I started driving it I noticed that it has a significantly loud cabin noise, it's like riding in an airplane, and it feels really good when I stop the car. Not sure where it's coming from, i feel a lot of noise is coming from the wheels especially on the freeway but there isn't any clicking noises from the engine or anything just an overall loud driving experience.

This my first hatchback I had a 1996 toyota camry which was running great and didn't have any road noise compared to the mazda, not sure if that's normal in a hatch back or is there something wrong with my car, I don't remember that it was that noisy when I test drove it.

Also, I noticed when pressing the brakes it does that cracking noise and I also feel it in my foot.

Please advice it that normal in a M3 or should I contact my dealer

thank you so much ..

Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM

the noise is normal... it's very loud.
Not sure what you mean about cracking noise, can't help you there.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM

A good guess would be the crap OEM tires; I swapped out the tires on my (then) brand new Mazda3 after only 714 miles (and was able to sell them pretty quickly).

Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
A good guess would be the crap OEM tires; I swapped out the tires on my (then) brand new Mazda3 after only 714 miles (and was able to sell them pretty quickly).
well the tires that came with the car are bridgestone. I am not knowledgeable in car but I hear that bridgestone is a good brand, right??

Originally Posted by Mazda3UR
the noise is normal... it's very loud.
Not sure what you mean about cracking noise, can't help you there.

Mazda3UR, why the Mazda3 is that loud, I don't think I have been ever in a car that was that loud, my 1996 camry with bad tires are way quietter !!!!!!!

Last edited by virgin1; 04-28-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by archs
well the tires that came with the car are bridgestone. I am not knowledgeable in car but I hear that bridgestone is a good brand, right??
Good brand, bad brand, it matters not; even the best brands make crap tires (typically for OEM use). I'd wager that if you look at your tires, write down the model (EL400-02?) and then go to TireRack.com and look them up they'll have pretty lousy reviews.

If you want to reduce tire noise, replace your factory tires with something like the Yokohama AVID ENVigors at $110 per tire or the Continental ExtremeContact DWSs at $98 per tire.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 AM

high MPG car='s no or little sound deading.. Why, sound deading adds weight which hurts MPG.
At some point I will be adding a layer of lizard skin.... LizardSkin® Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin 1/3rd the weight of the peal and stick of traditional sound deadner and because it's sprayed on it can really get down in to the small areas and limit the amount transfered

Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed.
Plus I would add that you are comparing apples and oranges here.
The Camry is sold as a mid-range family sedan. It's not designed to be anything but. Soft suspension and slow steering.
The Mazda is a more economy based ride with an eye on more interesting driving experience. It only seats 4 in a pinch, or if your family is small in stature. It's handling it taut and its suspension firmer.
If you look into the tires on your car now as shipo suggests I'm sure you will find exactly what he's talking about. Tires on my own 3 made a huge difference in the road noise.

And too, as MazdaUR said, if you want further sound insulation, Lizard skin seems to be one of the best ways to go currently. And don't forget to insulate the door too. That's probably the single area where most of the sound is transfered into the cabin.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM

taken down

Last edited by some_guy_out_there; 03-06-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: taken down