Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

My P2177 Saga

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Default My P2177 Saga

I thought you guys might be interested in how I finally fixed my car. About a month ago, the car had a light miss under acceleration. I replaced the plugs and air filter. The miss remained and the car threw a P2177 code, only when warm and after sitting a few minutes.

After research on the internet, I decided to replace the MAFS and the purge valve. No improvement.

I then replaced the expensive air/fuel ratio sensor. No improvement. I also got an occasional code for N. 1 missfire.

I replaced No. 1 coil. The miss went away, but the performance was getting worse. I decided to replace the throttle body, so that I could get a new throttle position sensor. No improvement. The car started "bogging down" under full throttle and "chugged" with the cruise on going up hills.

I felt strongly that I was dealing with a fuel delivery issues at this point, so took the car to my local mechanic, who told me that he drove the car and he stated that it checked out fine. The CEL came on on the way home, and the car performance was poor.

I decided to bite the bullet and get a new fuel pump. I have read that there are no external fuel filters, only ones the internal to the fuel pump. I drained the tank, noticing that the fuel flow out of the line appeared to be low. I dropped the tank and removed the filter, using a strap wrench that I got from Sears to get the plastic locking ring off. Assembly was a snap and after putting gas into the car, VOILA! The car runs great and no codes.

The moral to this story is....trust the symptoms, not he CEL. My mixture was too lean due to flow issues from the fuel pump. There are no external filters to the pump, so if you suspect a clogged filter, you will need to replace the entire pump. It's expensive, but not very hard to change out.

I spent way too much money and wasted way too much time chasing phantoms on this one, so thought I should pass it along.

David Nolen

Old 04-24-2018, 11:03 AM

David,
Thank you for sharing this info. My P2177 ordeal was related to dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor. I have spent multiple hours trying to figure it out. I have cleaned the MAF sensor few times however I was doing it completely wrong.
Only ​​​​after removing the MAF from the housing and give it a thorough cleaning (the little bubble is a temp sensor the actual MAF is inside the plastic tube, two resistor like looking parts next to each other) my P2177 got resolved.
It has been 200 miles, no more P2177, it is gone!!!