Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

My mazda 3 headlight adjustment mechanism does not work anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Default My mazda 3 headlight adjustment mechanism does not work anymore.

Hello everyone. I screwed my headlights. I wanted to adjust the headlight low beams. I've attached two pictures of the right unit to show you the two screws that I used to adjust the level of the light. Well after a bit rotating the thing happened - it stopped adjusting the level and my lights are very low right now. The screws are still rotating but the unit is not responding. What I need to do to fix this? I hope you understand me, because my English is very BAD.

Attached Thumbnails My mazda 3 headlight adjustment mechanism does not work anymore.-20131201_111136.jpg   My mazda 3 headlight adjustment mechanism does not work anymore.-20131201_111143.jpg  
Old 02-21-2019, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by STUFFF
Hello everyone. I screwed my headlights. I wanted to adjust the headlight low beams. I've attached two pictures of the right unit to show you the two screws that I used to adjust the level of the light. Well after a bit rotating the thing happened - it stopped adjusting the level and my lights are very low right now. The screws are still rotating but the unit is not responding. What I need to do to fix this? I hope you understand me, because my English is very BAD.
Hi friend,

I've been working on a company designing Headlights and on LED Headlights, there are no manual adjustment on the cockpit because they have a stepper motor to control the height automatically. The only option to move the light beam is using the screws that you mention. Just try again because it's usually a simple mechanism and sometimes fail. You don't panic and try again up to you are able to move the beam.

You headlights has an automatic calibration during the vehicle start so start the engine and low beam before to make any adjustment. By default the light beam is on the lower part of the headlight to avoid glare any other people, once the car is on, the light beam goes to the nominal position. Nevertheless, the headlights should be perfectly aligned if it's a new brand car from production line.

I hope to help you.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by eLeCtRoNiTrEcK
Hi friend,

I've been working on a company designing Headlights and on LED Headlights, there are no manual adjustment on the cockpit because they have a stepper motor to control the height automatically. The only option to move the light beam is using the screws that you mention. Just try again because it's usually a simple mechanism and sometimes fail. You don't panic and try again up to you are able to move the beam.

You headlights has an automatic calibration during the vehicle start so start the engine and low beam before to make any adjustment. By default the light beam is on the lower part of the headlight to avoid glare any other people, once the car is on, the light beam goes to the nominal position. Nevertheless, the headlights should be perfectly aligned if it's a new brand car from production line.

I hope to help you.
While they "should be perfectly aligned" right from the factory, the 3rd Gen Mazda3 has HID headlights which are aimed notoriously low.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Hello. Thank you for your reply. It has been a while since my post and I realized , as you described, that the only way to adjust my headlights is via the two bolts position at the back - responsible for the horizontal and vertical movement of the reflector. Also there is a guide how high the headlights need top be adjusted so I proceeded that way.From the inside the problem is one plastic part which very often gets broken and you are unable to fix it unless you open the headlight and replace it, but this is a bit complicated.
Thank you very much for your post