Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Most FAQ's for this section

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Default Most FAQ's for this section

This thread is to help answer those questions for the 2.0-2.5 that have been asked so many times that its engraved into our memories and have bad dreams about them.

P.S: If anybody has something to add or correct anything please just pm me with the question, all replys will be deleted, as for mods feel free to edit this post to add/change anything.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Q: Which Intake is the best?

A: Although the designs look the same, hp and tq increases are gonna be different, the only way to determine which is best is to do some research on youtube and see the reviews others have left about the product, make sure you search for the best prices ebay is no exception.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Q: What does CAI stand for?

A: Cold Air Intake
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Q: Does adding a intake and or exhaust void my warranty if its not mazdaspeed?

A: Only if something major happens and it caused by the intake or exhaust, i.e seizing due to water intake, or emission failure from cel.
Q: Do parts for the 2.3l engine fit the 2.0l?

A: Parts like the intake, or exhaust will fit, but parts like pistons, rods, etc do require that you match with engine.
Q: Can i tune my ecu?

A: No, mazda said "were not gonna make this easy if your american", but i can tune via standalone EMU's
Q: Which turbo kits are available?

A: Tri-point, ebay (universal piping)
Q: Is it cheaper to make a custom kit or just buy one?

A: Although it MIGHT be cheaper for the parts themselves, u will be paying out the *** if you plan letting a shop make one for you plus countless days without your car, not even mentioning that its a lot riskier. But if you know what you are doing, it will be cheaper.
Q: When does the speed governor kick in and how do i get rid of it?

A: The limiter kicks in exactly 118mph, there is only one known way of getting rid of it is by getting the stand alone engine mangement.
Q: Do parts from a sedan fit the hatch

A: Yes and no, the suspension has different spring rates, meaning it may sit higher or lower, the exhaust needs to be extended like if you get the spd3 exhaust and put it on the sedan (like i did). None of the body parts will fit except the mirrors maybe.
Q: Which is safer to turbo 2.0 or 2.3?

A: 2.3 has lower compression ratio and will also give you more power per psi vs the 2.0, safe boosting lvl on stock block is 8
Q: Is it illegal to put on any performance parts?

A: To put it simple its like this....when it comes to performance if it dont come from factory its ILLEGAL, it depends which cop pulls you over.
Q: Whats the difference between the models between 04 and 09?

A: The differences are that most problems with the 04 were fixed in the 05, the 07+ just have different body dimensions in the front and rear bumper and wheels, but have the same bolt pattern if you wanna throw on a bodykit, oh and the 07+ have a extra cat converter after the exhaust mani, so intead of 2 (as if that werent bad enough) they have 3.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Q: Can i turbo my automatic?

A: You can but it cant and wont hold up past 6psi, if you really want to have a turbo auto 3 you are going to have to get a performance trans which you would be the first therefore costing over 4k in cash.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
Q: How come my 04 did this or that?

A: What part of all 1st gen 1st year car car did you not get? ALL 1st anything will have defects, your car, your xbox, your 1st gf etc
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
Q: Do i need to replace my goodyears?

A: Umm hell yes, they are the most overrated (next to pirelli) pos rubber to ever hit the road. They do not have much lifespan let alone good traction in bad weather
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
Q: Why did my cel come on when i got my intake or header and how do i fix it.

A: To be honest, the chance of getting a cel due to those mods is a 50/50 chance, some people get them others dont, and the tricks to lose the cel work for some and not for others.
Q: Will parts from the Speed 3 fit my non spd?

A: Anything from the outside will mount correctly i.e. ic piping, turbomani, NOTHING internally will work the spd 3 has completely diff specs on the inside[U].
__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Q: Why do my rear tires wear on the inside so quick?

A: This is a result of tests on the Mazda during road racing, the rear camber is out approx .8-1 degrees meaning that the inside of the tire is making more contact with the road than the outside of the tire, why? this is so that it reduces the chance of the rear sliding out during hard cornering.

Q: Is my Mazda a Ford? And if so shouldnt parts from the focus fit it?

A: Mazda built the engine that is in the focus and mazda 3, all mechanical parts are interchangeable even some sensors. All the newer focus' with the duratech engine are the same as the mzr even the g-series transmissions. Short answer: both built by mazda
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Q: What tuners are available for my 3 and do they do?

A: Finding a standalone unit that has a wiring harness for the stock ecu is kinda hard to find (try contacting tirpoint engineering about the harness from there turbokit). A standalone unit allows people to tune things like boost, spark, fuel etc. Another option is the plug and play unit and for the n/a 3 its the best way to optimize the performance of the intake and exhaust but thats it
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Q: Which exhaust should i get?

A: Custom or name brand dont really matter performance wise, sound and quality is the difference. Recommended max diameter is 2.25in, anything bigger you start to lose low end and gain nothing.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Q: Has the wheel bolt pattern changed for all the production years of Mazda3?

A: No, its still 5x114.3
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Q: Anyway at all i can make my brake and gas pedal to be further apart?

A: Unless you get the metal bent there is no way, that or adjust your

Last edited by Tracker; 06-20-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Contruction
Old 09-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Has the wheel bolt pattern changed for all the production years of Mazda3?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 AM

question: an yway at all i can make my brake and gas pedal to be further apart? this is a huge problem. always hitting them both, no moatter what shoes/boots i wear. im hating it big time. tried changing seating positions/legs, but no way .

Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM

Would Mazda owners recommend a Mazda3 for a new driver? My son has his license, and he needs a reliable vehicle because he commutes to work. I test drove a Mazda, and I liked it. I was just wondering if it would be a good first car.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by darakhavaji
Would Mazda owners recommend a Mazda3 for a new driver? My son has his license, and he needs a reliable vehicle because he commutes to work. I test drove a Mazda, and I liked it. I was just wondering if it would be a good first car.
Absolutely Yes. I've been working on Mazda's since 2005 and highly recommend one.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM

So I just bought a 2013 mazda3 hatchback skyactive 2.0L a couple months ago and the dealer said the 2012 and the 13 were the same exact thing except for a few interior add-ons. Does that mean i could buy parts from the 2012 model (ie. lowering springs, intakes,) and put them on mine? Thanks in advance.

ps. new member so bear with me here

Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Default New 13' Mazda 3 skyactiv

Hello everyone just bought a new mazda 3 skyactiv sport 4dr. I wanted to put some 18's on it. Does anyone have this done? If so how many mpg did you lose? What offset did you use? Tire size? Don't want it to stick out. Thanks guys

Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Liam6512
Hello everyone just bought a new mazda 3 skyactiv sport 4dr. I wanted to put some 18's on it. Does anyone have this done? If so how many mpg did you lose? What offset did you use? Tire size? Don't want it to stick out. Thanks guys
If you run the correct size tyre you wont change the MPG.

Contact a tyre/mag wheel shop for off-sets.

visit this site to match tyre size, Tire size calculator
or Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing

Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Default Will a 2.0 engine fit my 2.3 - 04 mazda 3 M/T

I recently blew the engine on my 2.3 but it costs too much to buy the same size engine (about 2gs)... does anyone know if a 2.0 can be swapped in directly? any additional info helps thanks.

2004 mazda 3 M/T

Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Default Mazda 3 lifted?

Hi, I am a new mazda 3 owner - I have a 2012 mazda hatch and I am slightly unhappy with the ground clearance that it sports.. I was wondering if anyone here knows whether or not it would be detrimental to install a lift kit (about 1 to 2 inches) and maybe tires that are (1 or 2 sizes) larger than factory..? I like to snowboard so I plan on driving on windy snowy mountain roads, and I don't want to sacrifice my handling or stability.. Please halp!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Most FAQ's for this section