Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3/Mazda5 Power Steering recall notification 6010H

Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Default Mazda3/Mazda5 Power Steering recall notification 6010H

Hey folks, last Thursday or Friday (23-Sep-2010 or 24-Sep-2010) I received an envelope in the mail from Mazda North American Operations with the following line emblazoned across the area above my name and address:
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
The text of the letter follows:
==============================

September 2010

2007-2009 Mazda3 and Mazda5 Power Steering Voluntary Safety Recall 6010H

Dear Mazda Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Mazda Motor Corporation has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2007-2009 Mazda3 and Mazda5 vehicles, produced from April 2, 2007 through November 30, 2008.

If you are a recipient of this notice, your vehicle is included in this recall.

What is the problem?
Certain 2007=-2009 Mazda3 or Mazda5 vehicles may have a condition in which a sudden loss of power steering assist could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. If power steering assist is lost, steering is still possible but will require more physical effort, particularly while driving at lower speeds. Unless the driver compensates for the additional effort, the risk of a crash is increased.

What will Mazda do?
The service parts required are currently in short supply. When the parts become available, Mazda will send a 2nd notification. The 2nd notification will instruct you to make an appointment with any authorized Mazda dealer to have the power steering system repaired. The repair will be performed free of charge.

What should you do?
  • If the power steering is functioning normally, please wait for the 2nd letter notifying that parts are available.
  • In case of a power steering assist malfunction: If power steering assist becomes inoperable, the power steering malfunction indicator light illuminates. Steering is possible, but requires more physical effort. Should this situation occur, pull safely to the side of the road and turn off the engine. After a short period of time restart the engine. The power steering malfunction indicator light may go out, and power steering assist may return. Should you experience this condition, please contact an authorized Mazda dealer.
For additional information and to view a video that illustrated the effects of a loss of power steering assist, please go to http://www.MazdaUSA.com and click on: For details about a recall on 2007-2009 MAZDA3 and MAZDA5 vehicles see here.
What if you already paid for power steering repairs?
If you have already paid for the inspection, repair or replacement of the power steering system due to a defect prior to receiving this notice, you may be eligible for reimbursement of reasonable repair expenses based on Mazda's repair standards.

Please complete the enclosed "Reimbursement Application Form", include the necessary documentation, and mail it to us in the pre-addressed envelope provided, allowing 6-8 weeks for processing.

Where is the closest Mazda dealer?
To locate your nearest Mazda dealer, visit our web site and try our "Locate a Dealer" feature at http://www.MazdaUSA.com or consult your local yellow pages.

Moved or no longer own this vehicle?
If you have moved or no longer own your Mazda vehicle, please complete the enclosed prepaid Information Change Card as soon as possible. This enables us to update our records and notify the current owner.

Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

Still have questions?
If you have any questions regarding this campaign, please contact our Customer Assistance Center at (800) 222-5500, option #6.

If Mazda or its dealers do not repair the defect free of charge and within a reasonable amount of time, you may notify the Administrator of the National Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE., Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

We actively work to improve our products and search for solutions to improve your ownership experience. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this recall may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Mazda North American Operations

zoom-zoom

Last edited by virgin1; 09-28-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Yeah, I got one of those too.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 PM

Yeah I got mine as well.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Default Power steering issue

A couple of months ago I had to park my 2008 Mazda5 that took a few attempts in my driveway.

Low and behold, my steering tightened up and the warning light and message came on, regarding the steering.

I let it sit for a while and it was okay. I got my letter regarding this in the post a few days ago.

Needs to be fixed I guess.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 PM

I haven't had time to post this yet, but less than a week after I got my initial letter, I got the followup letter telling me that the parts were now in stock and that I should make an appointment to have the "fix" put in place.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Wow. It's been at least a couple weeks since I got the letter but I don't have the follow up yet for the parts. Supposedly my dealer is one of the highest volume dealers in the state so they're probably having to stock up like mad.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Yeah, I got mine too, about 10 days ago. Without Jinxing myself, with 20k on the clock, I've not experienced the problem. According to my dealer in NY - Westchester County, it's not getting done - applying the fix per the TSB - until November.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM

I think waited months for the stability control parts to come in after that recall.

I'm hoping my PS doesn't go out while driving, although my experience with other PS systems failing (on other cars) is that they tend to happen on start up, or the first twist of the wheel. I drove my old MINI Cooper 10 days with no PS before I could get it to the dealer ($1200 and two trips later it was fixed...so a free fix with a recall requiring a wait is OK with me!).

Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 PM

I called my dealer today and we won't be getting any parts until January! No worries I still haven't had an issue.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Default Apply to mine?

I have a 2007 Mazda 5 that I purchased late in 2006. Any chance this is the same problem I have just started experiencing on mine? I am trying to diagnosis this new issue I am having where the vehicle is suddenly difficult to steer, the steering light comes on and the lights dim down. Alternator, power steering pump or belt? Any thoughts anyone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mazda3/Mazda5 Power Steering recall notification 6010H