Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Default Mazda3 dies while driving

Hopefully someone will have an idea to help us with this problem. My son's 2010 Mazda 3 i touring has been a great little car. However, in the last month he has had two incidents of the car stalling while driving normally - 40 to 60 mph, and the engine suddenly dies. After it dies it will not start again - if you jump start it, it may go a little way, but will die again. It happened yesterday on a very dangerous stretch of highway. The first time we checked ODI and the code was a camshaft position sensor. That is covered under the Pzev warranty. We got it to the dealership, and they changed the CPS and said that there was another error code when they checked it, for the TCM, which they also changed. We got it back after a week. And the first real driving he did, on the way back on about a 70 mile trip, it had the same issue after 40 minutes. Dead on the highway. Checked and the code is camshaft position sensor (what was just replaced).

We will go back to the dealer tomorrow, but I am worried that there is something additional going on - and I don't want anything to jeopardize the safety of my son. Any ideas of what else could be involved? If they change the CPS again I am not sure this will keep the problem from recurring.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:50 PM

Nobody with ideas? The dealership now thinks it will replace the tcm. So that would be new camshaft position sensor, pcm and now tcm. My concern is that they are really trying hard but have no ideas, and meantime my son will be driving a car which may be dangerous if it stops running suddenly at speed on a busy interstate as happened last time.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:33 AM

Youve taken it to the dealership already, they know way more about the current state of the car than we do. We can't look at it nore do we know any codes thrown, or worse, that no codes get thrown at all. Clearly the engine is losing electrical power or electrical is being shut down and the plugs become non-functional. WHY this is happening requires investigative measures.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Loose battery wires or post terminal on baattery
just saying because i had a similar problem
and i change starter and other fun parts at the end it was a loose battery clamp
urrrrrgh!!!!