Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3: is it worth it to get the 2.5 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Default Mazda 3: is it worth it to get the 2.5 engine?

I've been seriously considering getting a Mazda 3 however I am not sure which engine I should go for.

I test drove both the 2.0 and the 2.5 and thought the 2.0 was a bit gutless especially when starting out from a dead stop and while making passing maneuvers. It was a brand new car so I didn't push the engine past 3,000 or so RPMs, so I guess I didn't get much of a feel for it.

When I test drove the 2.5 liter I noticed a noticeable improvement in power and torque. It felt significantly more effortless to get up to speed and more powerful off the line.

Right now I am somewhat undecided if I should just get the standard 2.0 liter or if I should splurge and go for the upgrade 2.5 liter. The 2.5 costs a pretty penny compared to the 2.0 liter and you really don't gain that much more in horsepower, however I did enjoy the feel of the 2.5 liter compared to the sluggish nature of the 2.0.

I'd like to hear some opinions from people who own the car. While the 2.0 engine was slower, it did seem like it would be a joy to rev out. I'm not somebody who minds revving out an engine. I am curious to hear some positives and negatives about both engines.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 PM

My wife and I opted for a new Mazda3 s GT over a Mazda3 i GT. Why? A few reasons which were important to us:
  • More powerful engine.
  • Real leather seats.
  • 18" Wheels.
  • Head's Up Driving Display.
  • Xenon HID headlights.
  • LED Daytime Running Lights.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:34 PM

The heads up display sold me instantly. Mine gets delivered tomorrow and I can't wait.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:29 AM

The real question is can you afford the gas mileage hit of the 2.5L engine? Nothing worse than buyer's remorse when gas rises back up to $4 a gallon. My 2011 2.5L is a gas hog compared to a 2 L Skyactiv but for me I want the get up and go of the 2.5 here in N. VA merging on the beltway is fun

Last edited by GEEBOSS; 06-30-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GEEBOSS
The real question is can you afford the gas mileage hit of the 2.5L engine? Nothing worse than buyer's remorse when gas rises back up to $4 a gallon. My 2011 2.5L is a gas hog compared to a 2 L Skyactiv but for me I want the get up and go of the 2.5 here in N. VA merging on the beltway is fun
The point you may be missing is the Gen 3 Mazda3 s with the 2.5 liter engine is also a Skyactiv; there is very little difference in fuel economy between the two engines.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
The point you may be missing is the Gen 3 Mazda3 s with the 2.5 liter engine is also a Skyactiv; there is very little difference in fuel economy between the two engines.
Absolutely true. It's completely negligible, because if you drive like a normal person, you're actual mileage is so far off from EPA estimate combined mileage it's ludicrous. (RE: every Prius driver, because your feet are always buried in the carpet)

Even if you are close to EPA estimated, the difference accounts for about $200 a year. If you can't save $200 a year, you shouldn't be buying a new car.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by blainesledge
Absolutely true. It's completely negligible, because if you drive like a normal person, you're actual mileage is so far off from EPA estimate combined mileage it's ludicrous. (RE: every Prius driver, because your feet are always buried in the carpet)

Even if you are close to EPA estimated, the difference accounts for about $200 a year. If you can't save $200 a year, you shouldn't be buying a new car.
Yeah, $200 per year, if that, is a very cheap price to pay for the extra power and extra goodies inside the car.

Update on our car; apparently the earthquake in Japan in April boogered up some of the logistics over there; our car was *supposed* to show up here mid-May, now it is looking like mid-July.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:34 PM

I am in the same position! I just drove the 2.0 I Grand Touring and the 2.5 s Grand Touring and I too felt a noticeable difference in engine power. The gas mileage difference is so very little between the two.

Can someone share the difference between 16inch wheels on the I Grand Touring and the 18 inch wheels on the s Grand Touring? I imagine the 18 inch is more of a performance tire like on my Mazda Miata MX5? Thanks for your input!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Itself
I am in the same position! I just drove the 2.0 I Grand Touring and the 2.5 s Grand Touring and I too felt a noticeable difference in engine power. The gas mileage difference is so very little between the two.

Can someone share the difference between 16inch wheels on the I Grand Touring and the 18 inch wheels on the s Grand Touring? I imagine the 18 inch is more of a performance tire like on my Mazda Miata MX5? Thanks for your input!
I have 18 inch wheels. The tire is a 215/45R18. The difference in wheel (rim) size has a negligible effect on performance if the tire size is the same.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by blainesledge
I have 18 inch wheels. The tire is a 215/45R18. The difference in wheel (rim) size has a negligible effect on performance if the tire size is the same.
The dealer "said" the 18 inch wheels are lower in profile and stiffer and thus a "rougher" ride. I thought the s Grand touring with the 18 inch wheels was smoother go figure. The S Grand Touring also weighs about 140lbs more than the I Grand touring which is not enough to really make a difference. I just felt the s Grand Touring felt heavier, quieter, smoother. Just impressions from a car gal!

Quick Reply: Mazda 3: is it worth it to get the 2.5 engine?