Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 Manual Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:45 PM

If the gear isn't completely interesting due to a linkage maladjustment, the gear could understandably be kicked out and about.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:03 AM

whitegti: With my trans, if I put a little pressure on the stick while accelerating, I can feel the trans working. I believe that this is because it is a cable linkage and when you put tension on it, you can better transmit vibration, which is otherwise isolated from the chassis and shifter (on purpose). This is kinda like using two cans with string between them as a 'phone' (if you're old enough, like me, to remember that - lol). When the string is slack, you can't hear anything. I don't know how to characterize what I am feeling, versus what you are feeling, but it is MUCH less than my truck and I never really noticed it until I looked for it. Possibly and understandably, you may be hyper-sensitive to it, because of your problems and the fact that the trans was just replaced?

Suggestions:
1. Go to the dealer and ask to drive another car with the same trans (if there are any available...).
2. Wait and see what happens. I know this sucks, but it may be totally normal... Or maybe not...

UseYourNoggin: I think you mean wait until the 3rd YEAR, not generation, to buy? A generation is the entire run of a particular iteration of a car. In this case, 2010-2013, with the skyactiv package simply being an engine/trans option. The 2012/2013 version of that engine/trans option was unchanged, except for tweaks and from what I've seen in the forums (this one, mazda3revolution, etc.), by the end of 2012, they had pretty much worked most of the bugs out. The 2013's have largely been pretty good. Now - I work for an aerospace manufacturer and you will not find a more **** group, as a whole and I'll tell you: No matter what you are making and how few or how many, there are going to be problems, of a certain percentage. It is inevitable. Generally speaking, I think second year is probably ok, for most things.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 AM

whitegti: One other thing: What I feel through the stick is definitely load and rpm dependent. It's not one particular gear. Mostly, I feel it as the torque is just picking up (around 2500-3000 RPM), as it is being loaded. Below and above this, not so much and not with neutral or trailing throttle. And I don't really feel it in 1st, 5th or 6th. I believe that in 1st, you transition through that RPM range too quickly to feel it and in 5th and 6th, largely the acceleration is too slow to create the effect. Anyway, these are my impressions, for what it's worth...

Old 10-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2013mazda3
UseYourNoggin: I think you mean wait until the 3rd YEAR, not generation, to buy? A generation is the entire run of a particular iteration of a car. In this case, 2010-2013, with the skyactiv package simply being an engine/trans option. The 2012/2013 version of that engine/trans option was unchanged, except for tweaks and from what I've seen in the forums (this one, mazda3revolution, etc.), by the end of 2012, they had pretty much worked most of the bugs out. The 2013's have largely been pretty good. Now - I work for an aerospace manufacturer and you will not find a more **** group, as a whole and I'll tell you: No matter what you are making and how few or how many, there are going to be problems, of a certain percentage. It is inevitable. Generally speaking, I think second year is probably ok, for most things.
I will concur with you, but to 3rd year. Second year is too close as they are still finding things and haven't had much chance to make changes (next model already in production before 1st one is proven) especially with the brand new SKYACTIVE; not with the Mazda 3 design as that has been around for a while and is proven.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 10-09-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM

I hate to invoke the anger of the gods, but I will say that my Nissan Frontier is the last year of it's generation (2004) and uses an engine and trans that was around, in it's basic form, from late '83 until 2004 and I have had pretty much zero problems with it, over 10 years and 90k miles. Two little ****ling things: Very small coolant leak at a hose, that I will address when I do the timing belt and a little pin that fell out of the tailgate latch mechanism and is now glued in with super glue... that's IT, though. That's about the best reliability I've ever seen, outside of a Honda. I like Nissan because you get 90% of the quality for like 70% of the price, of Honda or Toyota. Ish. lol

I just also got rid of a '96 Honda Civic EX (best gen, in humble opinion). It was bone stock, except for a CD changer and at 221k miles, I had only done maintenance on it (brakes, axles, wheel bearings, tires, timing belts, etc), with one exception, which was a coil, at over 200k miles. Sold it for $1900, still with the original clutch! The sunroof still even worked.

This is my first Mazda, though, so although the numbers look good, I don't have any personal experience. We'll see!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM

FYI: The 1996 Honda Civic was the first year of it's generation and it had NO problems. Of course, that IS Honda we are talking about! Only time they lost their way (slightly), was 2012 and by 2013, they fixed all their issues...

Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Banned

To 2013mazda3: Honda and Nissan are at the top for reputable engines as far as car manufacturers are concerned. Mazda was doing rotary engines and partnered with Ford recently (ie V6 3.0 ltr) in less than 10 years ago for regular 4 stroke engines, plus the fact never ever heard of SKYACTIVE before. It's a new thing, 1st Generation for sure!
Plus the Honda Civic first gen was low compression. Skyactive is experimental with high compression for regular gas.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 10-09-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 AM

The 3.0 V6 and Mazda6/Probe of the early 90's was not a partnership, exactly: Ford did their own sheetmetal and interiors, but the Probe was a Mazda, mechanically, from end to end.

skyactiv is just a name (marketing...) given to a collection of technologies that are used together (variable valve timing, piston coatings, finishes, direct injection, etc etc. on the design. This is not 'new' technology.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2013mazda3
The 3.0 V6 and Mazda6/Probe of the early 90's was not a partnership, exactly: Ford did their own sheetmetal and interiors, but the Probe was a Mazda, mechanically, from end to end.

skyactiv is just a name (marketing...) given to a collection of technologies that are used together (variable valve timing, piston coatings, finishes, direct injection, etc etc. on the design. This is not 'new' technology.
If Mazda was so good, why did they use Ford's 3.0 ltr V6? READ: http://www.carscoops.com/2011/06/rep...-ford-and.html
Mazda just recently split with Ford in this regard. Mazda is too small to be compared to Nissan and Honda.

Yes the Skyactive is new technology. Did you not read my previous post about hi compression on regular gas? anything over 10:1 is extremely rare in the mass market for reliability.
Direct injection is relatively new for a lot of cars in the mass market as well.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 PM

You're thinking of the Vulcan engine, which came later. The original Probe GT (early 90's) was a Mazda MX-6 under the skin, with a Mazda engine.

I'm not saying Mazda is the be-all end-all, btw. We WERE having a specific discussion about specific topics...

And no, skyactiv is NOT new technology. It is a GROUPING of existing technologies. The direct injection and several other aspects of the engine allow the use of higher than typical compression. Compression ratio is something that is CHOSEN based on other factors. In general, you go with the highest compression that your design will allow , on the fuel you plan to use, that will not allow unacceptable detonation, because all-else being equal, the higher the compression ratio, the higher the efficiency. The reason the new Mazda3 2.0 has more torque/power in the lower rpm range is because they were able to raise the compression from 12 or 12.5:1 (forget what the current one is) to 13:1. They were able to do this by slightly lengthening the nose and thereby being able to fit the 'basket of snakes' (4-2-1).

Dude: Trust me on this one. I have two engineering degrees, 25 years of experience in aerospace engineering and have been into cars and turning wrenches for 35 years.

Quick Reply: Mazda 3 Manual Transmission Problems