Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 Headlights Flickering/Pulsating When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Default Update on Headlights

Hi,
I was able to get the headlights fixed for free since it was a programming issue. At West Chester Mazda it took them less than 15 minutes to do it. Since you just bought it last week, I would definitely push the issue. It is a relatively simple fix with the directions that I've provided. Print them out and try a different Mazda dealership.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Default Found URL (I hope)

Here's the URL that shows the service bulletin:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=180421

Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Hello there! Thanks for interesting information about headlights. If I want to buy new headlights to my Mazda. I often use this site https://www.uzooka.com/mazda-headlights/ there you can find cheap parts for your cars, guys.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mookie3041
Good morning everyone. I had posted a while back inquiring about Mazda 3's as I was looking to switch from my Accord to this and well, I would up pulling the trigger. Got a black iTouring hatchback w/ tinted windows and soon to have some nice wheels. It's a very slick car.

Upon test driving, I noticed zero problem. Taking it home, zero problems. The very next day coming home from work, a problem. The headlights would flicker or pulsate as the car was decelerating and even more often when I will brake. I haven't even had this car for a week which leads me to believe the dealership had to have known about it or it's just a very freak occurrence. Regardless, I'm turning to you guys for some assistance or guidance. Obviously in this day and age, we have the wonderful world of Google to offer immediate assistance but I still wanted everyone's thoughts here.

I did come across this:

Anyone have any thoughts regarding this as a possible fix?? It was on a Toronto Mazda forum and seemed to get pretty good feedback as a solution to the problem. I just noticed this AM that the blue display will also dim and this is w/ the headlights completely off. I am growing more and more concerned. Could anyone guess how much something like this would cost? I have contacted the dealer and they said they would look into it when I brought the car in. Only problem is it's an hour away so finding time is a little more difficult. I could take it to a local place if I knew they could perform this work and it not cost me a buttload of money.

I searched the forums and came up w/ nothing so I apologize if this has been discussed. Car has a hair over 38k on it FWIW.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice anyone has.
DUDE!!!! I thought it was just me 😂😂😂 i been having this problem for a while now because i thought it was just me lol....and now i try to start my car and it just turns off after a second of turning it on.. I plugged in a code reader and it read p0101 ....i bought a maf sensor spray to clean it i just the intank housing for and leaks or anything and everything checks out.....can any of this be connect? This is my daily driver and its killing me day 2 without my mazda3 😪 any help is much appreciated i live in Riverside CA

Old 11-28-2018, 06:40 PM

It's been about a year of me noticing this. I thought it was due to a new aftermarket headunit I installed myself. Seeing more people with the same issue, I'll be contacting the dealership to see what they can do about it. Thanks to y'all and google!!!

Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 PM
Default My goodness!

Originally Posted by Cyclingwanderer
It's been about a year of me noticing this. I thought it was due to a new aftermarket headunit I installed myself. Seeing more people with the same issue, I'll be contacting the dealership to see what they can do about it. Thanks to y'all and google!!!
I finally got tired of this issue and replaced my alternator, to the tune of 300 bucks. And now it's even worse!

What did the dealer say when you called? It's now 2019 and my car has 105k miles on it.

That VVT recall affects 2012 skyactiv?

Old 03-31-2022, 03:08 PM
Default Problem still exists

Just changed battery on daughters 2103 Mazda 3 i Touring. Got the pulsing headlights when braking.
Called dealer and told them about the TSB. There was a charge of around $60. Not too bad.
Daughter drove car last night and said issue is fixed.
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:07 AM
Default Flickering headlights

I have a 2013 Mazda 3i touring skyactiv, 6 speed manual transmission with flickering headlights as well. 87,000 miles, no complaints with driving. Anyone know what a fair dealership might charge to repair?

Old 11-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Default Same here

Originally Posted by Shipinphil
I have a 2013 Mazda 3i touring skyactiv, 6 speed manual transmission with flickering headlights as well. 87,000 miles, no complaints with driving. Anyone know what a fair dealership might charge to repair?
Responding to this to say I have the same exact issue with my 2013 3i sport 6 speed m/t. I've got 95k on it and just contacted my dealer and have an appointment on the 15th. I'll let you know. Someone above said $60 but I find that hard to believe lol.

Old 11-15-2023, 11:07 AM

The info you posted seems appropriate, but I don't know much about today's technology, so I will check with mazda. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by VictoriaFergusonn; 11-15-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Mazda 3 Headlights Flickering/Pulsating When Braking