Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 Headlights Flickering/Pulsating When Braking

Old 12-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Default Mazda 3 Headlights Flickering/Pulsating When Braking

Good morning everyone. I had posted a while back inquiring about Mazda 3's as I was looking to switch from my Accord to this and well, I would up pulling the trigger. Got a black iTouring hatchback w/ tinted windows and soon to have some nice wheels. It's a very slick car.

Upon test driving, I noticed zero problem. Taking it home, zero problems. The very next day coming home from work, a problem. The headlights would flicker or pulsate as the car was decelerating and even more often when I will brake. I haven't even had this car for a week which leads me to believe the dealership had to have known about it or it's just a very freak occurrence. Regardless, I'm turning to you guys for some assistance or guidance. Obviously in this day and age, we have the wonderful world of Google to offer immediate assistance but I still wanted everyone's thoughts here.

I did come across this:

PCM is the powertrain control module
TCM trasnmission control module

we use mazda IDS program to communicate with the vehicle. this is the full write up of the TSB

this is what the whole thing reads

TSB: 01-13-21
2012-2013 MAZDA3 - HEADLIGHTS FLICKER WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2012-2013 Mazda3 vehicles (with SKYACTIV-G 2.0L and Halogen Type Headlights)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit the headlights flickering when the vehicle is decelerating (by applying the brakes) with the headlights on. This concern is caused by inadequate alternator output (controlled by the PCM) when the battery is under heavy load. To correct the problem, the control logic of the PCM has been changed.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Reboot the IDS to clear memory before reprogramming.
2. Using IDS 85.04 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to “Calibration Information” table) by following the “Module Reprogramming” procedure.
NOTE:

•Always update the IDS tool first, then follow on-screen instructions to download the needed calibration file for PCM reprogramming.

•It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the IDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming procedure.

•IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.

•Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations for service related concerns.

•When reprogramming a PCM, IDS will always display the “latest” calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.

•When performing this procedure, we recommend using the “Power Supply” mode in the Battery Management System to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If a different charger is used, make sure it does not exceed 20 AMPS. If it exceeds 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.

3. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making sure there are no MIL illumination or abnormal warning lights present.
NOTE:

•If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs using MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 01-02.

•After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to “relearn” KAM (Keep Alive Memory).
Anyone have any thoughts regarding this as a possible fix?? It was on a Toronto Mazda forum and seemed to get pretty good feedback as a solution to the problem. I just noticed this AM that the blue display will also dim and this is w/ the headlights completely off. I am growing more and more concerned. Could anyone guess how much something like this would cost? I have contacted the dealer and they said they would look into it when I brought the car in. Only problem is it's an hour away so finding time is a little more difficult. I could take it to a local place if I knew they could perform this work and it not cost me a buttload of money.

I searched the forums and came up w/ nothing so I apologize if this has been discussed. Car has a hair over 38k on it FWIW.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice anyone has.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 AM

OK Well, I see this got a lot of attention so I figured I'd update it.

I took it to a local dealership today and so far, so good. I ultimately won't know until tonight when I go home from work but the blue display would also flicker and on my way back, it did not. If you car is having this problem, take it to a Mazda dealer and they should fix it free of cost as it's covered under the Federal something or another that the mechanic was telling me about.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:30 AM

Good to know. I noticed just weeks ago, the car is one year old, has 18k on it and the headlights just started flickering when I apply the brakes. The info you posted seems appropriate, but I don't know much about today's technology, so I will check with mazda. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 AM

Yesterday I took the car to Mazda, took one of the posts from here and showed it upon arrival and the advisor said he didn't need to see that, as he had seen this many times before. They took the car back, took around 30 minutes and had it back, fixed, no flickering at all. I drove it last night and no flickering at all. No charge for fixing whatever the problem was. good to know they still take care of their problems.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyd154
Yesterday I took the car to Mazda, took one of the posts from here and showed it upon arrival and the advisor said he didn't need to see that, as he had seen this many times before. They took the car back, took around 30 minutes and had it back, fixed, no flickering at all. I drove it last night and no flickering at all. No charge for fixing whatever the problem was. good to know they still take care of their problems.
Good news man! Glad I was able to assist w/ this info. It's the whole reason I posted it haha. Sounds exactly like the process I had to go through also. Time was also on par w/ what it took them to fix mine.

Again, glad everything worked out and it was able to assist!!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM

I'm having this issue too. But, this started happening to my car only after I installed a new battery. I've made an appointment with the dealership to check it out.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Its amazing the number of Minor issues that are fixed by a simple software update.
This shows the reason for getting your car serviced by Mazda. Only Mazda can update your PCM software.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Its amazing the number of Minor issues that are fixed by a simple software update.
This shows the reason for getting your car serviced by Mazda. Only Mazda can update your PCM software.
Agreed. I'm glad this post is still seemingly helping people even w/ all the grammatical errors in the OP.

FWIW, after the initial update, my car has never seen this issue again. I get a small amount of dimming on the internal lights and sometimes the headlights when idle and rotating the steering wheel but I read that was normal. Too bad winter is coming back and now the mileage display will start to dim when using my heat bad design, Mazda, bad design.

Still the most fun car I've had though. Assuming this withholds the test of time, I'll more than likely be a Mazda person for a while. The CX3 being next.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

So then this issue only exists in '12-'13 2.0L Skyactiv models with halogen headlamps?
Are both your cars automatic, and does that seem to affect how this TSB is done?
And thanks for the post, Mookie!!

Old 10-22-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

So then this issue only exists in '12-'13 2.0L Skyactiv models with halogen headlamps?
Are both your cars automatic, and does that seem to affect how this TSB is done?
And thanks for the post, Mookie!!
Not a problem. It was pretty irritating driving my car off lot to find this happening the day after. Finding a solution proved to be a little difficult and since the problem wasn't too uncommon, just doing my part to hope that no one has to search as much as I did.

From what I remember in my research, I found that this did only affect those two models and nothing prior or afterwards but I could be very wrong. It's been a while since I looked into it but that does sound correct. Yes, my car is automatic also. Not sure if it would be different for a manual car or not so I cannot correctly answer the second part of that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mazda 3 Headlights Flickering/Pulsating When Braking