Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 2008 - Not maintained well - 85,000 miles - Rough Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Default Mazda 3 2008 - Not maintained well - 85,000 miles - Rough Drive

Hey all,

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 that I haven't done a great job of maintaining.

I have taken it in regularly the last few years due to the wife taking charge, but otherwise not much done.

Right now the main problems seem to be:

1) You can feel everything, very bumpy ride, hitting a bump you really feel it in your ***.

2) Driving doesn't seem super stable, when you hit a bump, sometimes the car jerks left or right. Usually doesn't affect driving much, but I did have one time in the last month where it felt like I nearly lost control of the car.

These are the main issues that are bothering me now and I think the car would feel pretty good again if I got them fixed.

Last shop we took it to for an oil change said we needed new struts/shocks.

So my question is should I just take it in and let them install whatever and charge me whatever, or am I better off buying the parts myself and having them installed after.

If buying myself, can you guys help point me in the right direction. I don't mind spending a bit more for OEM or better quality if the feel will be better.

Also would shocks/struts cause the issue with the car jerking, or is that likely something else?

Specific model is Mazda3 2008 s Grand Touring

Thanks for any help with my ignorance!

Last edited by Robert Preston; 04-21-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: more details in title
Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 AM

Sounds like an awesome place to start. There might be some other things in need of attention but the shocks and struts have considerable weight when talking stability and handling. If you wish to save a little coin, you can purchase your own and install them easy enough. For the front Struts, purchase ones that are the complete assembly which includes spring and bearing plate. They are sold with names like Quick Strut. Rears should include the top mount. I've seen these break in the past so you might as well get rear struts that include the mounting plate