Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Intermittent AC blower issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Default Intermittent AC blower issues

I'm having an issue with my blower motor on my 3. About 20% of the time when I start my car the blower will not turn on. I have manual AC/heat, no climate control as a note. When this happens if I turn the blower control to "0" (off) for a couple minutes then to an "on" position it will work (this can take a couple cycles of off, wait, on). I have read that this can be caused by the "heater" relay being faulty. I replaced that relay the other day with no change. Another symptom is the blower seems to blow slower than I remember when I first got the car. The blower speed increases in tight turns then returns to the slower speed after the turn. This symptom is not repeatable and will just occasionally happen.

Any help will be very appreciated. We have consistently 100+ highs where I live so this issue can be a bit annoying. I'm just trying to rule out things before pulling the dash and replacing the blower. Thank you.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM

This sounds like your 3 has the same switch as the '95 and up Protege. That switch goes bad and some have doctored it up by taking it apart and improving the springs in it. Read this thread: "A/C switch problem, getting worse"

Last edited by tanprotege; 09-04-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Thank you for your response. That thread gave me a few more things to look at.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:09 PM
Default Did you find a Solution?

Originally Posted by Joe428
I'm having an issue with my blower motor on my 3. About 20% of the time when I start my car the blower will not turn on. I have manual AC/heat, no climate control as a note. When this happens if I turn the blower control to "0" (off) for a couple minutes then to an "on" position it will work (this can take a couple cycles of off, wait, on). I have read that this can be caused by the "heater" relay being faulty. I replaced that relay the other day with no change. Another symptom is the blower seems to blow slower than I remember when I first got the car. The blower speed increases in tight turns then returns to the slower speed after the turn. This symptom is not repeatable and will just occasionally happen.

Any help will be very appreciated. We have consistently 100+ highs where I live so this issue can be a bit annoying. I'm just trying to rule out things before pulling the dash and replacing the blower. Thank you.
Hi Joe, did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have the exact same issue with my 2017 Mazda 3. I replaced the Blower Motor Controller (Transistor) twice and I am still having the exact same intermittent problems. Sometimes the fan will not turn on, and other times my fan speed will be set to the highest setting with not much coming out. Other times, my fan blows with no issue.