Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Gear whine in 5th

Old 02-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Default Gear whine in 5th

I have an issue with my '05 Mazda3 with the 2.3L engine and 5-speed manual transmission. When the transmission is in 5th gear, at speeds between 45 and 75 mph, there is a very loud whine that sounds like gear whine coming from the engine compartment. I only hear the sound at a steady throttle and only in 5th gear. When I let off the gas pedal, the whine stops. When I put the gas pedal down and accelerate, the whine stops.

I have had this problem since the car was new (8,000 miles now on the odometer). The service advisor at the dealership where I bought the car stated the sound is normal. I find it very irritating.

Have any of you heard the same sound or have had this problem repaired?

Old 02-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Default RE: Gear whine in 5th

Let me tell you something about dealerships....the service dept. is no different than some of the rip off mechanic shop in all towns...they will say something is normal when in fact it is NOT normal...so here is what you do..if you have a problem with your car,..and obviously a gear whine noise is NOT normal...you take your car in and you tell them to fix it..if they say it's normal, you say bull****, and order them to fix it..they still want to play hard ball..bluff them by telling them your gonna stick your lawyer up their ***! Now watch and see if they don't address the problem. They still claim it's normal..make them take you and the head machanic for a drive in another car of the same type..if there is no noise, then again,..tell them to fix it. If they take your car to fix it,..call them everyday, twice a day to see how it is going and what is being done to fix it,..the "squeaky wheel" gets the grease,..know what i mean. Don't let dealerships tell you everything is fine and then push you off on your way.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:29 AM

Bad idea if they are already giving you a hard time about it dont even let them breathe the air around youre car, because chances are they are going to half *** it, and when it happens again and they refuse to fix saying this not a problem they will find a way to screw you over so my suggedtion is to find a realible friend and have him/her do it or take it to another dealership and have them look at it.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:36 PM

is that whine you speak of like a high pitched whistle...but you only hear it when your throttle is in a certain steady position?

Old 02-11-2006, 05:45 PM

ive never heard a whine coming from my 06. the only problem i have is most of the time its a struggle getting into reverse...i gota get it in to the service shop, pisses me off - seems like its getting hung up on something.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Lupae3s

is that whine you speak of like a high pitched whistle...but you only hear it when your throttle is in a certain steady position?

Yes, the whine is actually more like a whistle. I only hear it on a steady throttle and only in 5th gear between 45 and 75 mph.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:25 AM

ORIGINAL: falerios

... make them take you and the head machanic for a drive in another car of the same type..if there is no noise, then again,..tell them to fix it.
It is my intention to take my car to another dealership next week to have them investigate the noise. Most likely I'll have to ask to take a ride in a new Mazda3 off their lot in order to make a comparison.

It would be helpful to know how many of you out there have heard (or not heard) the same sound in your car...

Old 02-12-2006, 06:43 PM

i hear that noise all the time...im in the same boat as you are gant.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:24 AM

Thanks, Lupae3s. That helps. Anybody else hear the noise? Let me know what model year you have as well.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:55 AM

mikemazda: the manual that came with the car actually mentions a remedy for struggle going into reverse...all you have to do if it doesnt want to go into gear is go back to neutral, disengage the clutch, and the engage it again. you should be able to go into reverse fine after that...if not just disengage and engage the clutch again until it goes...shouldnt take more that two or three times.

gantw: by the way, my mazda is the 2004 3s hatchback model...and the whine isnt from the gears, im almost positive its from the air intake (just almost). i am able to get my car to make the high pitched whistle whichever gear i am in if i keep my throttle positioned in a certain spot (im going to say about 2/9ths of the way engaged). the noise kind of sounds like the noise a turbo'd vehicle makes via a big front mount intercooler, say kind of like a vacuum cleaner would make if it had semiclogged tubing which creates a high pitched squeel or whistle, IMO.
Do you have anything done to your intake or any aftermarket intake systems, drop in filters, etc.?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear whine in 5th