Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Fuel Pump Issue on a Mazda 3s 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Question Fuel Pump Issue on a Mazda 3s 2.3

Hi guys,

My fuel pump just went out on my 2006 mazda3s 2.3 and I had a couple questions:

1) What's the average cost of a replacement fuel pump?

2) How difficult is it to replace?

3) What is the average cost to have it replaced by a mechanic?

The reason I ask is because I had my regular mechanic have a look at it and he is quoting $900.00 to replace it. He has never over charged me in the past and is usually a bit lower in price than other mechanics in the area, but this seems a bit excessive. When I had the fuel pump replaced in my old honda accord it was only $450.00 or so. I know there are differences between cars and was just wondering what justified such a large amount. Are mazdas that difficult to work on?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by goodcook
Hi guys,

My fuel pump just went out on my 2006 mazda3s 2.3 and I had a couple questions:

1) What's the average cost of a replacement fuel pump?

2) How difficult is it to replace?

3) What is the average cost to have it replaced by a mechanic?

The reason I ask is because I had my regular mechanic have a look at it and he is quoting $900.00 to replace it. He has never over charged me in the past and is usually a bit lower in price than other mechanics in the area, but this seems a bit excessive. When I had the fuel pump replaced in my old honda accord it was only $450.00 or so. I know there are differences between cars and was just wondering what justified such a large amount. Are mazdas that difficult to work on?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
A few comments:
  • Given that the fuel pump is typically in the fuel tank, the job of replacing the pump can be a bit involved, especially if the car has a full tank.
  • Mazdas are no harder to work on than any other car in the same general class.
  • What on earth are you doing to burn out fuel pumps so fast; driving until the tank is bone dry before refueling?
FWIW, I've been driving for nearly 40 years and I've yet to burn out an electric fuel pump in over a million-and-a-half miles.