Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Noise coming from rear end - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Default Noise coming from rear end - HELP!

I have a 2004 Mazda3S with around 62,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago I started noticing a noise coming from the rear end of the car whenever I went over a bump so I thought I had a busted shock. Took it to a friend to look at and he told me the noise was my brakes. Took the car back to where I just had my brake pads replaced and they laughed. They drove it around and told me the noise was my rear sway bar bushings and links. $400 later I have new sway bar bushings and links and the noise is still there. It now does it no matter what. Over bumps, riding down the road, pulling in somewhere, it doesn't matter. It honestly sounds like the rear end is about to fall off and I'm scared to drive it. No mechanic or dealership can see to tell me what's wrong so I'm continuing to drive it with AAA on speed dial. I know it's not my tires because I've had that problem before and this is a different sound. When I'm driving it almost sounds like I have a flat tire (a ticking sort of noise) and when I go over bumps it makes the loudest clanging sound I've ever heard. Someone please help and point me in a direction. Then I might be able to tell a mechanic what to look for and see if that helps. Otherwise, it looks like a new car in the future for me.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 PM

sorry about your luck, but many of people have tried to help someone over the net with noise problems, and it ends just giving the victim the run around, something like this can only be helped with when it can be done live, with that said since you had brake service, try checking the calipers for missing bolts or the holding pin, move the rotor, thats about all i can give off the top of my head, good luck

Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 PM

Do you have a stock sway bar on the back?
What about stuff in the trunk that would be moving around?
Pull up the carpet in the trunk and make sure the spare is secured and all of the tools are tight in the tray.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM

weird. that does sound like the rear sway bar bushings, ive had this happen many times not only with my 3, although i remember it costing just over $100 you should take it back to where they fixed it for 400 and tell them it is still loose.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:17 AM

Hi there,
Is the 'sway bar' the same as the 'torque or torsion bar'? Not sure of the term: the bar that links one suspension to the other to prevent roll on corners.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyivan
Hi there,
Is the 'sway bar' the same as the 'torque or torsion bar'? Not sure of the term: the bar that links one suspension to the other to prevent roll on corners.
yup its the same thing.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 AM

Hi there,
I went back to the garage and told them that it was loose brake pads. They test-drove it trying to tell me it ws bearings - then tail plate light - then the rear bumper. I said "just squeeze the brake a bit going over this ramp": no rattle.

They fixed the pads. Prob solved. Idiots.