Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Can I disable the seatbelt alarm?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Default Can I disable the seatbelt alarm?

Hey there,

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 sedan and I'd really like to disable the annoying seatbelt alarm. I wear mine most of the time, but sometimes I'm going through short routes, for instance, where I get out of my car several times and back in and it becomes really annoying. Also when have to unfasten the seatbelt so I can get my wallet out and pay the drive through, parking pass, etc.

So anyway, I was surfing the forum searching for an answer and I came across an interesting topic of someone who had the same problem and was looking for a solution. Someone posted this as a long-term solution:

RE: Seat belt alarm disable

TEMPORARY DEACTIVATION
To temporarily deactivate the belt minder, turn the ignition switch to ON, fasten the driver's seat belt for about 2 seconds or longer, then unfasten it within 20 seconds. The belt minder will be deactivated temporarily, until the ignition switch is turned to ON next time. (Temporary deactivation can be cancelled by turning the ignition switch OFF, then ON.)

LONG-TERM DEACTIVATION
To deactivate the belt minder long-term, change the configuration of the Instrument Cluster using WDS.

Identify the vehicle, and make sure the vehicle specification screen appears.

Select "Module Programming" and press tick.

Select "Programmable Parameters" then "Warning Lamps/Chimes" and press tick.

Select "Belt Minder" -) IC (Instrument Cluster)" then "Disabled" and press tick.

Turn the ignition switch to OFF and press tick.
I am more interested in the long-term deactivation. How do I go about doing that? I'm very new to all this and have never really done more than add water for the sprinklers, lol.

Any information and help is much appreciated and thank you very much in advance.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 AM

I came across another post.

For changing certain options on the Mazda 3 Dash, you need Test mode, here is how:

1) Push and hold the TRIP on instrument dash cluster
2) Put key in ignition and switch to ON (dont start the vehicle)
3) Wait until TEST is displayed in the screen on the instrument cluster.
And that is it, your in.
Is that how I go about doing it? No laptops, cables, etc. necessary?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

I know w/the first gens (2003-2009,) the temporary solution works... temporarily of course. But the permanant solution was, and maybe is to have the dealer do it. They have to laptop the ECU in order to perm disable. I'm not sure if they've made it an owner friendly thing to do in the 2nd gens or not, but that does seem like that would be going backward.

Here in the States at least you are required to sign a waiver before they will perform the work.

I wear my seat belt everywhere. It's been second nature to me since before I could drive for nearly 45yrs now, so I don't worry about it. I did try the temp fix once though just to see....

Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

^^ Also waiver or not some dealers may refuse to perform the deactivation as pretty much the only reason to have it disabled is for purposes of not wearing a seatbelt which no dealer wants to encourage.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Default Mazda 3 disable set belt alarm -

There is actually a reason for disabling it other than to drive without it on.
I recently bought a second hand Mazda 2 2008 and the seat belt alarm is driving me crazy!

It seems to think that anything at all on the seat means that the belt needs to be on. When I put my handbag or even just a couple of books on the passenger or rear seats, the car begins without any trouble and then, maybe in 20 seconds time or sometimes half way to work, it decides that the seatbelt needs to be on and starts beeping loudly. I can't do anything about it when I'm on the freeway so I just have to put up with it. I really dont want to put my handbag or my lunch on the floor.

I always drive with my seatbelt on but this problem is very annoying.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 AM

Sorry, what is WDS?

Last edited by PaulaB; 09-28-2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: didn't mean to include quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by PaulaB
There is actually a reason for disabling it other than to drive without it on.
I recently bought a second hand Mazda 2 2008 and the seat belt alarm is driving me crazy!

It seems to think that anything at all on the seat means that the belt needs to be on. When I put my handbag or even just a couple of books on the passenger or rear seats, the car begins without any trouble and then, maybe in 20 seconds time or sometimes half way to work, it decides that the seatbelt needs to be on and starts beeping loudly. I can't do anything about it when I'm on the freeway so I just have to put up with it. I really dont want to put my handbag or my lunch on the floor.

I always drive with my seatbelt on but this problem is very annoying.
Please create a new thread in the Mazda 2 section which is the proper section for your car, this is an old thread and therefor the information it contains may be outdated.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PaulaB
Sorry, what is WDS?
WDS = Worldwide Diagnostic System.

Its Fords old, outdated, obsolete diagnostic tool. It was replaced about 5 or six years ago by the Panasonic Toughbook, known as the IDS.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 AM

To remove the chime.
(1) remove the dash cluster from the car.(find a nice screw driver there are a few screws and a lot of clips to undo.)

(2) undo the torque screws on the cluster casing.(small flat blade can do this if torque drivers aren't available.

(3) access the circuit board (you will see a black speaker looking thing on the board relatively close to the odometer LCD)

(4) Pull that annoying little speaker out.

car functions perfectly after this, just remember to turn your lights off. no more chiming