Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Buy or Pass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Default Buy or Pass?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and I was looking to purchase a 2014 M3 s Grand Touring with a rebuilt title. According to the owner, the car was bought from an auction and was fixed so now they are selling it. The car only has around 7k miles and is being sold for $13,000. To me, this feels like a "too good to be true" type of deal for the best model so I'm really debating whether it's even worth looking at. Also, I contacted the owner and they sent me pictures of the damage. I will post pictures later, but what do you all think? Buy or pass?

Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Hmmm, $13,000 for a 2014 s GT with only 7,000 miles on the clock? Pretty good deal even with a rebuilt title. Depending upon the extent of the original damage, I would say this is a very possible "Buy" situation.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 AM

Yeah, the price is very attracting. It's close enough where I can go look at it, but I don't want to purchase it then find out later down the road that there were hidden problems.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Thinking about this a bit further; the only "auto-pass" I use is when a car has suffered water damage, flood or catastrophic rain into the interior. Beyond that, everything is on a case-by-case basis depending upon original damage.

Regarding this car, I wouldn't even bother looking until I saw "before" photos of the damage.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:30 PM

that does sound like a great deal, just remember that when a car is salvaged the dealer (me) usually cant look up certain things, like the key code or recalls.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:57 PM

Sorry to correct you eve, even with a salvage title or rebuild title, key codes and recalls are available.

Mazda will honor and perform any recalls that are implemented for your vehicle. The big thing you sacrifice is warranty. With a salvage title, all powertrain warranty becomes void. As shipo stated, any water damage is a run away situation. Due to the heavy rains and flooding in the recent months, there will be many flood damaged vehicles that will hit the market. I've performed major surgery on Mazda Submarines in the past and the cost to the owners was enormous.

Peel back a section of the carpeting and insulation on the drivers side and look real close and carefully to see if any type of water line is visible. Standing water will leave witness lines that most salvage sellers forget to clean up.

If it was just body damage, make the call yourself if it's worth the risk of buying knowing there is no powertrain warranty.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky202
Sorry to correct you eve, even with a salvage title or rebuild title, key codes and recalls are available.

Mazda will honor and perform any recalls that are implemented for your vehicle. The big thing you sacrifice is warranty. With a salvage title, all powertrain warranty becomes void. As shipo stated, any water damage is a run away situation. Due to the heavy rains and flooding in the recent months, there will be many flood damaged vehicles that will hit the market. I've performed major surgery on Mazda Submarines in the past and the cost to the owners was enormous.

Peel back a section of the carpeting and insulation on the drivers side and look real close and carefully to see if any type of water line is visible. Standing water will leave witness lines that most salvage sellers forget to clean up.

If it was just body damage, make the call yourself if it's worth the risk of buying knowing there is no powertrain warranty.
I don't believe that the powertrain was harmed during the accident by looking at the photos, but I could be wrong. The owner told me the front was took a light hit and that there wasn't any damage to the powertrain.

Attached Thumbnails Buy or Pass?-img_1658.jpg   Buy or Pass?-img_1657.jpg   Buy or Pass?-img_1656.jpg   Buy or Pass?-img_1659.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 PM

I'm not seeing anything alarming; all is easily repairable. This car sounds like a great deal.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:14 PM

Understandable, and from what I see in the pic's, damage looks cosmetic. My only concern is in the 3rd pic, is that a crease above the windshield between the driver and the rear view mirror or just a reflection? If it was a crease, that indicates structural damage and would explain why they totaled it. Wind noise, excessive tire wear, poor handling, smells funny when it rains, you get the idea.

The Skyactive powertrain is pretty solid. There is always the unexpected and since neither you or I were in the car when it got hit, there is no way of telling what it went thru. If the car drives out ok, no rattles, wind noise water leaks etc., you might be fine.

Since you asked, I'll tell you. My rule is if there is just the slightest question about the purchase, walk away.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 PM

The car was eventually fixed and it looks good from the pictures, but you are right. I wasn't there during the accident so I can't say what exactly was damaged. I'm really questioning why the car has a rebuilt title. It's not like the entire front was destroyed. Also, I'm assuming that the warranty was voided out due to the accident?

Quick Reply: Buy or Pass?