Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Behind Glove Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Default Behind Glove Box

What's behind the glove box? I'm thinking of having an amp mounted inside with a small fan to suck the air out of the box. I just don't know what's behind the box or if it is flush against the firewall. - thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Default RE: Behind Glove Box

an amp to run speakers or a subwoofer? and i dunno that may be a good place though but have you tried say mounting it to the rear seats?would be an easy place to have it

Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not completely sure what"s behind the glove box, Aubrey, as I"ve never had mine out, but I know someone that put a carputer in a 3 HB and though he had to cut out the back of the box for it to breath, fit it did.
I don"t think you"ll have a problem... as long as it"s no longer than a computer case is.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM

I'm looking at the Alpine PDX series. They are small and cooler than most. I can have them put a small fan in the back of the box that comes on when the amp gets power.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 PM

I've taken mine out before. There's not a lot of room back there. I personally wouldn't be comfortable putting anything behind it. I took mine out to pop a hole in the grommet behind there for my power cable to my amp. Amps seem best in the trunk honestly.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM

its a way to hide it for sure, but what happens in the event in which it were to say blow, or a cable fell off. you gotta take it all out fix the amp and reinstall in which you could have mounted it in a different place. hell you may be able to put it under your rear seat. just not the sub as i pointed out in the other thread. i just have mine in my trunk and its been no problem. why you thinking this anyway? so it stays hidden? plus you also gotta think about all the cables where the hell are they gonna go. your gonna have to cut a hole in your car to make the wires go through to the sub, ground wires rca's the whole bit. its sounds like a hell of a lot of work. but if ya got time why not.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 PM

At least you would not have to worry about too long of RCA cables running to the trunk, therefore eliminating the problem of interference between the power and the audio cables.

If the amp is for subs, I wouldn't cheap out on the audio cables from the amp to the trunk, get something to carry that power and sound easily.

And along with jaimie08mazda3if you were to blow a fuse, loose a cable, want to expand, etc, it would be a pain.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: apbbnbanb_07

At least you would not have to worry about too long of RCA cables running to the trunk, therefore eliminating the problem of interference between the power and the audio cables.

If the amp is for subs, I wouldn't cheap out on the audio cables from the amp to the trunk, get something to carry that power and sound easily.

And along with jaimie08mazda3if you were to blow a fuse, loose a cable, want to expand, etc, it would be a pain.

im thinking he would want to keep the head unit stock if he is thinking about something like that, then you have the line output converter (LOC) and that you have to factor into the whole picture. and RCA's would be an issue because im thinking if he wants to keep the stock look with a subwoofer in the vehicle he has to run it through the rear speakers. in which then it turns into a huge mess cuz now there is wire going through every end of the car because the LOC is what the rear speaker wires attach to in which sends RCA's to the amplifier. and then there will be more wire going through both angles of the rear door speakers and be a huge mess. and then more wires going for a ground and a Remote wire and a power wire, factoring in all of this what you should do is put the amp in the trunk screwed down. it will be alot cheaper and easier to do. you could do it but youd be spending alot more then you think.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 AM

I was not even thinking of the lack of RCAs, good point jaimie08mazda3.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 AM

I'm keeping the stock head unit. The amp I'm looking at is a 5-channel. If it's up front, it's just a matter of getting power to it and connecting it to the head unit. For a sub, it's just running the one speaker wire to the trunk.

Quick Reply: Behind Glove Box