Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

AUX Input / Media Button Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Default AUX Input / Media Button Problems

I'm having trouble selecting the auxiliary input to use my iPod in the car. The iPod is plugged in to the auxiliary jack in the center console and its volume is all the way up, but when I press the "Media" button on the dash nothing happens. The display panel on the stereo doesn't change to "AUX" and the current source (radio, CD, or SIRIUS) continues to play. I've also tried getting to the AUX source by cycling through all inputs using the steering-wheel “Mode” button, but it just seems to skip AUX mode altogether (going from SIRIUS back to FM1). I've tried turning the stereo's volume up as well, but since it never selects the AUX source this seems futile. Is there some way to activate the media button that I don't know about? Am I doing something wrong or is it time to call up the service department already? (Bought it 2 days ago)

Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: AUX Input / Media Button Problems

The problem you're having is both the sirius and the ACI (Auxillary Console Input) use the same port on the back of the HU. The really unfortunate part is that most dealers have absolutely no idea that one invalidates the other when you're buying stuff, and obviously the service staff didn't mention that they unplugged the ACI to hook up your sirius.

Mazda has addressed this problem to the tune of ~$113 in the form of a switchbox. It allows you to plug the ACI, and one of the following (sirius, phatbox, ipod adapter) into the box, and then it plugs into the port on the HU. You'd then access the functions normally by pushing: MEDIA, SAT, CD twice, etc. as you normally would.

The part number for the switch box you need is TD1379CFZ. It sucks to take the hit on something that should be included, but maybe the dealer will feel bad and do it for free. Yeah, not likely but theoretically possible.

Let me know if you need more help.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 PM

Bummer. I definitely would've made a point out of this if I'd known in advance. It seems an awful lot like deceptive business practice since there was absolutely nothing to indicate that when you get Sirius you lose the ability to use the aux jack. Do you know if the satellite radio is installed by the dealer or by the manufacturer (presumably at the port)?

In any case, thanks for the information. At least now I can go back to the dealer more informed.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Hi - I have the same problem. Is this something I can plug in, or do I need the service dept. to do it?

Just curious - my patience with the sales dept is wearing thin.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: my4doggles

Hi - I have the same problem. Is this something I can plug in, or do I need the service dept. to do it?

Just curious - my patience with the sales dept is wearing thin.
If you have the mechanical competence to use a screwdriver then installing this shouldn't be too hard. I can even find you the PDF instructions from Mazda on how to "officially" install it. Personally I think thye make the whole thing more complicated than it needs to be, but that's just me. I certainly wouldn't pay for them to install it. Now if they were doing it for free..... maybe. I think I'd still enjoy doing it myself. Up to you.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 PM

yeah - I have a couple capable techie guys at the house, so we can probably figure it out. If you could locate that pdf file, that would be great. thanks for your quick response!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm looking for it now.... it moved. :P

Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

I have the PDF now. PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 PM

can you please send me PDF instructions also?
thank you

Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM

n/m

Quick Reply: AUX Input / Media Button Problems