Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Audio/Aux Input question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Default Audio/Aux Input question

Hey guys - I have a 2006 mazda 3. I am looking for the easiest way to add an Aux input to the car. I have the 6 disc changer if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Default RE: Audio/Aux Input question

i found this link for a simple plug in. www.icarkits.com its abit pricing but i sounds very easy to install.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Check out this link http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=62624.0

Old 08-24-2008, 05:04 PM

I just installed an auxmod in mine and it works well. I had to install a ground loop filter and used one purchased at the source. I only have 40 year old ears but don't find that the filter killed much of my sound quality.

Also, I mounted the filter in the HU where the cassette deck may go if there was one. I used zippy ties and foam tape to make sure it did not rattle around.

I did seesome info floating around a month ago that looked like you could wire almost directly to the deck without the use of a card for 2006 models. I will post the link if I can find it again. I could be wrong..I drink a lot. (smile)

Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 PM

EDIT: Please read the forum rules on selling products

Last edited by icspots; 03-27-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 PM

Does anyone know if the headunit for the 2007 and up mazda3 will work in a 2006 mazda3? They added the mp3 player and aux input for that HU and the local dealer said no, but they are the same clown who told me my lowering springs are causing my parking brake to bind. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mazda3_1975
Does anyone know if the headunit for the 2007 and up mazda3 will work in a 2006 mazda3? They added the mp3 player and aux input for that HU and the local dealer said no, but they are the same clown who told me my lowering springs are causing my parking brake to bind. Any help would be great. Thanks
Yes a 2007 HU will work in your 2006 car. That said.........

The ACI (console input) isn't integrated into the '07 HU, rather it's an exterior module that's part of the car's wiring harness. Also installing it would require replacing the center console... pretty cost prohibitive when there are already two simple inputs that work well for under $100.

On the subject of Mp3 capability this was not made standard until the '08.5 refresh. Prior to the refresh there was an available 6CD/Mp3 player available from '06-'08. Prior to '06 there was an optional single CD/Mp3 player. If you're ordering a new HU for the purpose of playing Mp3 discs just make sure you're ordering the correct HU.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM

I have the same car (2006 mazda 3) and i did the same thing. I was looking for the easiest and cheapest way to get a aux imput for my car. I was going to get the 2007 year Head unit HOWEVER the aux imput is in the glove compartment, not the head unit. What i did was go on ebay and find a aux imput thing that plugs in behind the head unit where the pin connect is. However if u have a 6 CD changer or satellite radio you'll have to unplug it and put in the aux. I paid 90 dollars for mine. The volume, mute button, and mode button still work on the steering wheel but you cant change songs.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 AM

The whole point was because the '06 is only a radio and 6 disc changer with the option of iPod or satellite radio. I want to plug the iPod in as well as have satellite radio. The FM modulators are for crap on the Bose systems not to mention ugly in the car

Last edited by Mazda3_1975; 04-07-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by *Nmazda3*
I have the same car (2006 mazda 3) and i did the same thing. I was looking for the easiest and cheapest way to get a aux input for my car. I was going to get the 2007 year Head unit HOWEVER the aux input is in the glove compartment, not the head unit. What i did was go on ebay and find a aux input thing that plugs in behind the head unit where the pin connect is. However if u have a 6 CD changer or satellite radio you'll have to unplug it and put in the aux. I paid 90 dollars for mine. The volume, mute button, and mode button still work on the steering wheel but you cant change songs.
What audio input did you install? I'm sure you could route it other places than the glove compt. if you wanted to. Also plugging something into the port on the back of the HU DOES NOT disable the in dash 6CD changer.

Originally Posted by Mazda3_1975
The whole point was because the '06 is only a radio and 6 disc changer with the option of iPod or satellite radio. I want to plug the iPod in as well as have satellite radio. The FM modulators are for crap on the Bose systems not to mention ugly in the car
If you want to have the OEM sirius and an audio input on your '06 model then your only choice is the Aux Mod basic. The AxM uses the TAPE/MD port on the bottom of the HU, whereas all the other modules use the same port as the sirius.

Quick Reply: Audio/Aux Input question