Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Another tire thread- need suggestions on a "quieter" tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Unhappy Another tire thread- need suggestions on a "quieter" tire

My new 3 GT came with Yokohama Avid S34's. I can't believe the road noise they generate. I know it is the tires as it changes when you go over different types of pavement. This model is supposed to be better insulated and quieter than the last generation but it's not the case with these tires. My wife rode with me the other day and even commented on it.

My '07 came with the fast wearing Goodyear Eagles which I replaced with Kumho Ecsta's, those were ok.

Has anyone installed Michelins or a brand that seems to be quieter- I hate to put new rubber on a new car but I don't know if I can live with these Yoko's until they wear out.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark56
My new 3 GT came with Yokohama Avid S34's. I can't believe the road noise they generate. I know it is the tires as it changes when you go over different types of pavement. This model is supposed to be better insulated and quieter than the last generation but it's not the case with these tires. My wife rode with me the other day and even commented on it.

My '07 came with the fast wearing Goodyear Eagles which I replaced with Kumho Ecsta's, those were ok.

Has anyone installed Michelins or a brand that seems to be quieter- I hate to put new rubber on a new car but I don't know if I can live with these Yoko's until they wear out.
My brother-in-law has been running Yokohama ADVAN S.4s on his 328i for a couple of years now and he loves them. I'm thinking that when the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires wear out on my Mazda3, I might give the Yoko's a try.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:31 PM

What about your Michelin Pilots, those are a highly rated tire but like all Michie's are expensive....

I'd be hesitant to swap out one Yoko for another but I know there are differences between models...........

Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mark56
What about your Michelin Pilots, those are a highly rated tire but like all Michie's are expensive....

I'd be hesitant to swap out one Yoko for another but I know there are differences between models...........
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my Mazda3 (which I put on when there was only 714 miles on the odometer) are wonderful tires, however, while they are quieter than the Goodyear Eagle RS-As they replaced, they're still pretty noisy (not surprising given the tread pattern). I have over 20,000 miles on them and they aren't even nearing the half-way gone mark yet, so it is my guess they'll last somewhere between 45,000 and 50,000 miles before they get too sketchy for winter driving.

As for the Yokohamas, like all manufacturers, they make some very good tires and some not very good tires; I've yet to hear a single good thing about the S34s, however, the S.4s seem to get wonderful reviews where ever I look.

Keep us posted on what you do.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 AM

I had the same problem on my 2006. I replaced them with General Ultimax HP's and have been satisfied with the road noise and the handling.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 PM

I'm still gonna hold behind my Sumitomo's, they handle well, far less road noise than the stock Badyears, far supierior handling, and at $93 a pop, the price can't be beat.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Having recently put these on the wife's Vibe, I thought I might update this thread.

For several months now, and over 1500 miles, we've had the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on our 2006 Pontiac Vibe. They were $85 ea for the OE 205/55-16" size on that car in January.
So far, these are the best buy in tires I have had in YEARS!!! I love 'em.
The good:
1) Not terribly expensive.
2) A speed rating of "W" and wear rating of 540!!
3) They stick like glue in all conditions we've been able to put them through so far... and this is on OE pressures.
4) They are EXTREMELY quiet, and like our Mazdas, the Vibe is known to have tire noise issues.
5) They ride very well. Not a lot of drama when going over uneven surfaces.
6) The tread patterns is very cool to look at.

The bad:
1) Steering response could be better. But then I feel the same about the Kumho ASX's on my Mazda that many seem to hold in high esteem.