Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

aftermarkets for 2012 mazda 3 2.0 skyactiv engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Default aftermarkets for 2012 mazda 3 2.0 skyactiv engine

was googling intakes and exhaust for my newly bought mazda but couldnt find any parts for it... is the skyactiv engine anti mod?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by macjeniraph
was googling intakes and exhaust for my newly bought mazda but couldnt find any parts for it... is the skyactiv engine anti mod?
What exactly are you trying to accomplish by adding an intake and/or an exhaust to your engine?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM

It's anti mod in the sense that because it just came out it will take some time for mods such as an intake/exhaust to be produced.
Instead just upgrade the suspension in the mean time.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Ok makes sense... And I'm trying to accomplish finishing 13 seconds on a 1/4 mile...lol..

Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM

I just picked up a '12 Skyactiv sedan myself. Not much out there for modding yet. I picked up a TRS Morimoto HID kit and a JBR rear sway bar as my first mods...as well as Weathertech digi's and some steel scuff plates.

A lot of people are saying that stock shocks start to go at about 30k miles, so I'll start looking at putting on some Koni's at some point. Engine mods are probably going to be tricky considering that Skyactiv has some pretty specific tuning, but also -- it's a mid-cycle refresh. A lot of tuners might wait until the model refresh with the 4-2-1 header and whatever else may come.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mmarcus
I just picked up a '12 Skyactiv sedan myself. Not much out there for modding yet. I picked up a TRS Morimoto HID kit and a JBR rear sway bar as my first mods...as well as Weathertech digi's and some steel scuff plates.

A lot of people are saying that stock shocks start to go at about 30k miles, so I'll start looking at putting on some Koni's at some point. Engine mods are probably going to be tricky considering that Skyactiv has some pretty specific tuning, but also -- it's a mid-cycle refresh. A lot of tuners might wait until the model refresh with the 4-2-1 header and whatever else may come.
A few comments:
  • I'm fast approaching 60,000 miles on my Mazda3 and the factory shocks are still doing their job quite admirably.
  • IMHO, bolt on engine mods short of a turbocharger are unlikely to do much of anything for any late model engine as they're all pretty well tuned; that goes double for the SkyActiv-G mill.
  • Something in the back of my head regarding some of the engineering specs for the SkyActiv-G motor is telling me that it already has a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold; I'll see if I can dig up the resource where I read that and report back.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
A few comments:
  • I'm fast approaching 60,000 miles on my Mazda3 and the factory shocks are still doing their job quite admirably.
  • IMHO, bolt on engine mods short of a turbocharger are unlikely to do much of anything for any late model engine as they're all pretty well tuned; that goes double for the SkyActiv-G mill.
  • Something in the back of my head regarding some of the engineering specs for the SkyActiv-G motor is telling me that it already has a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold; I'll see if I can dig up the resource where I read that and report back.
I could definitely be wrong, but from what I've read the 2012 Mazda3 (which I own) doesn't include all of the skyactiv components. Included the 4-2-1 would have required a firewall modification that they didn't have time for, which brought the compression down somewhat. The CX-5 should have both the Skyactiv-G engine as well as the new exhaust. I also believe the next-gen city brake tech was left out, which shuts off the engine when additional brake pressure is exerted at a stop. Again -- I'm new to modern cars, so I could be backwards on all this. My last ride was a '93 Miata which didn't even have a functioning horn, much less any of this new tech.

Matt

Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by mmarcus
I could definitely be wrong, but from what I've read the 2012 Mazda3 (which I own) doesn't include all of the skyactiv components. Included the 4-2-1 would have required a firewall modification that they didn't have time for, which brought the compression down somewhat.
I've not run across those two tidbits; my understanding vis-à-vis why Mazda lowered the compression for North American models only is because they felt U.S. and Canadian buyiers would object to a Premium fuel requirement.

Do you have any references regarding the lowered compression ratio (for North American models) being tied to a standard exhaust manifold?

Last edited by shipo; 02-29-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

It's too early for any aftermarket mods. Wait 3 years.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
I've not run across those two tidbits; my understanding vis-à-vis why Mazda lowered the compression for North American models only is because they felt U.S. and Canadian buyiers would object to a Premium fuel requirement.

Do you have any references regarding the lowered compression ratio (for North American models) being tied to a standard exhaust manifold?

"High compression is the key to the Skyactiv-G engine's combination of usable performance and excellent fuel economy. Until now, we'd only sampled European-spec versions of this engine running at 14:1 compression. For the 2012 Mazda 3, the engineers have lowered the compression ratio to 12:1 to accommodate our 87 octane fuel and the 3's more conventional exhaust manifold, which isn't quite as adept as the CX-5's 4-2-1 exhaust manifold at evacuating hot exhaust gases (and thereby preventing detonation).

The 4-2-1 exhaust manifold is big," Kenichiro Saruwatari, chief engineer for the Mazda 3, told us, "so we cannot package it in the current Mazda 3 chassis — it would touch the dashboard."

Source: 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv-G First Drive

Last edited by mmarcus; 02-29-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: aftermarkets for 2012 mazda 3 2.0 skyactiv engine