Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Aftermarket Outside Temp Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Default Aftermarket Outside Temp Display

We bought a 2004 M3 Sport GT over the summer. Love the car, but my wife (it's 'her' car) wants an outside temp display and Mazda didn't bring that into the M3 until '06 I think. I know you can get them at Cdn Tire and other places, but those are pretty large (and IMHO, ugly), not integrated with the interior lights, etc. I have looked at replacing the rearview mirror with one with the outside temp display (gotta run the sensor, I know ...) but I cannot find one that says it will work with the rain sensing wipers. I'm also not sure it's worth the $150 to $250 that those mirrors seem to be priced at.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

--flexbert

Old 11-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Aftermarket Outside Temp Display

Well I absolutely love my auto-dim mirror with temp/compass and it's been worth every penny to me. Check with Jason at www.onlinemazdaparts.com and he'll help you out figuring out which one you need. Just make sure you let him know that you want the older model with the temp sensor (newer models only have the compass due to the temp. being integrated with the car) and the mount for the rain sensing wipers. There's a really good walkthrough on installing it HERE.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for that feedback on the integrated auto-dimming/temp/compass rearview mirror and the link on the install - it seems relatively straightforward to install. Now I need to decide if I want to put out that kind of $$.

Any other ideas ?? I was hoping someone had figured out how to supply a temperature feed to the unused (in N America anyways ...) right hand portion (i.e. auto climate control) of the centre display.

--flexbert

Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

There were a few people back in '04/'05 who turned on their cars one day to find "- - -" displayed on the LCD. Those people were able to plug in the ambient temp. sensor and have it work perfectly..... that being said no one ever figured out how to get it to display the "- - -" on demand.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 PM

A question I have is ... is there are cheapo after market ambient outside temperature gauge set upavailable? Not just for a Mazda 3 ... I mean for any car.

My car has the temp gauge, and a friend of mine always comments on it because she does not have a gauge. It would be a cool gift if there was such a thing.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:37 PM

I just saw about 3 or 4 different ones at the truck stop this morning, so they are out there.
I put the upper console in my 2000 Explorer just for the Temp gauge.