Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2014 Mazda 3 Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Default 2014 Mazda 3 Aftermarket Stereo?

Hey all, first post here on Mazdaforum, a little about me - been driving an S3 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce for about 10 years now. I love it, but it needs body work really badly and well, not the most practical car. So I'm looking for a new reliable daily driver so I can get the Alfa some classic plates and turn it into my weekend sports driver.

Always loved the look of the Mazdas, and even the miata reminds me vaguely of the spider... and I've only heard great things about the new 2014 3series hatch.

On to my question - I don't need the frills, looking at the 6 speed manual, so I decided on the lowest level i-sport trim. My friend has the one with the infotainment center and it's pretty cool, but to get that I need to spend another $5k. I'm very handy (as you grow to be, owning an Alfa) and would rather buy the base level and install my own aftermarket system that will cost way less than $5k and give me the experience that I personally need. But looking at the stock stereos, it doesn't look like there's a DIN slot or anything that I can use for an aftermarket system.

Is it even possible to replace the stock stereo in the new Mazda 3 hatch? What if it breaks, or I want to upgrade further down the line? I called a mazda dealership and they said in order to do that I'd need to fabricate a custom dashboard. Seriously??????

Thanks for your time!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 PM

I'm still in the market for a new car, and the 2014 Mazda 3 hatch is near the top of my list. Like you, I'm considering an after-market stereo which would be better but less expensive than the higher trim/package Bose system.

Haven't found anything specific for the 3 yet, but the link below offers some good advice:
How To Shop for an Aftermarket Car Audio System

Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 AM

I just found out that the stereo on the mazda 3 is a custom deal, no DIN or double DIN slot so aftermarket stereos will not fit. The only way you could do it is to custom fabricate a dashboard piece, which would cost a lot of money.

What a shame. Such a nice car, such a ****ty stereo and no chance to upgrade.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

bigpapajoe, what features or functions do you want out of a aftermarket headunit? What don't you like about the basic model unit?

I've got the 2nd gen Mazda 3 and have upgraded the audio system adding speakers, subs & amps. All while keeping the facctory stereo & it's intergrated features. All by adding this : Line Output Converter - LC6i

Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM

What about the location of the CD player? Is that not large enough to fit in an adapter?

Old 02-15-2014, 12:25 PM

I have a 2014 CX 5 with the factory infotainment (Tom-Tom nav). I seriously HATE IT!! Everything from hot having a clock display so the clock is in-dash, disappearing into the rest of the orange stuff just below the main dash. What a STUPID place for the clock! I've had the vehicle a year now and am just no getting used to that little quirk.

Voice recognitions BLOWS! It very rarely gets what I'm saying correctly. Just after I bought it I complained to the dealer. They told me that based on other complaints, they think it's mic placement.

My phone book it there, then it's not. The USB tab isn't lit so I don't think it works. When a phone is plugged into the USB port in the console, nothing has ever indicated that the USB is connected.

The nav is such a POS I just use my phone.

It doesn't seem to like the new Windows phone. Pandora connects, but not the phone, or the phone connects but not Pandora (not both at the same time). When Pandora is connected, there is no sound. My Android phone worked well with this however.

When I've spoken to the dealer about these issues they don't know enough about it to be helpful.

I called a stereo shop. They say they can replace this unit, but the steering wheel controls won't work anymore.

If I had it to do over, I would definately NOT include this so-called "Tech Package" in the purchase. I would buy the low tech and go aftermarket.

Last edited by phalls; 02-15-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phalls
I have a 2014 CX 5 with the factory infotainment (Tom-Tom nav). I seriously HATE IT!! Everything from hot having a clock display so the clock is in-dash, disappearing into the rest of the orange stuff just below the main dash. What a STUPID place for the clock! I've had the vehicle a year now and am just no getting used to that little quirk.

Voice recognitions BLOWS! It very rarely gets what I'm saying correctly. Just after I bought it I complained to the dealer. They told me that based on other complaints, they think it's mic placement.

My phone book it there, then it's not. The USB tab isn't lit so I don't think it works. When a phone is plugged into the USB port in the console, nothing has ever indicated that the USB is connected.

The nav is such a POS I just use my phone.

It doesn't seem to like the new Windows phone. Pandora connects, but not the phone, or the phone connects but not Pandora (not both at the same time). When Pandora is connected, there is no sound. My Android phone worked well with this however.

When I've spoken to the dealer about these issues they don't know enough about it to be helpful.

I called a stereo shop. They say they can replace this unit, but the steering wheel controls won't work anymore.

If I had it to do over, I would definately NOT include this so-called "Tech Package" in the purchase. I would buy the low tech and go aftermarket.
Did you not read: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-cx-5-a-33127/

It was posted yesterday.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:00 PM

I did not see that! Thanks for letting me know. I have a service coming up and will certainly try to remember to hit them up for that update.

I sure will like this vehicle a lot better if this update really helps things.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:31 PM

Hi I'm new to the forum I have a 2014 Mazda3 sport hatchback. I know this thread is kind of old but I am having the same problem. However I did just find this earlier today and I think I might get it I will let u know if I have any luck!

http://www.carnaviplayer.com/mazda-3-2014-aftermarket-navigation-autoradio-p-1122

Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 AM

of course it can be replaced. see this stereo for your reference, maybe you can find the replacement instructions on web:
8 inch in Dash Aftermarket Navigation Stereo for 2014 Mazda 3 with Touch Screen TV AM FM Radio 3G WiFi CD DVD Player Bluetooth IPOD IPhone MP3 AUX DVR POP Backup Camera

Quick Reply: 2014 Mazda 3 Aftermarket Stereo?