Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2013 Mazda 3 NB1 & Ipod problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Default 2013 Mazda 3 NB1 & Ipod problems

I have a 2013 Mazda 3 with NB1 head unit and use a 5th gen Ipod touch with ios 7 that is connected by USB cable. Two biggest problems: Always starts on song 1 & not a true random shuffle. Two things that I have found that makes listening to my Ipod better are:

1. Make your song 1 a blank mp3, at least you are not hearing the same song every time you start the car. Google blank mp3, look for a website Xamuel.com. Website has blank mp3's from .5 sec to 5 min. I use a 10 sec file. Right click and save target as to save file to your computer. Rename file so that it will be song 1 (mine is named 1.mp3). Import song to iTunes or whatever you use. I even used iTunes to change the artist name and album name to be "Press Shuffle Now". This gives me a 10 second window to press the shuffle button to hear a different song.

2. How I can get a true random shuffle: When I turn off my car, I then unplug the USB cable from the Ipod. The next time I start my car, I start it with my Ipod still disconnected. Once the Ipod tab reverts back to USB, I then plug the USB connecter back into my Ipod. I have about 475 songs so it takes 30-45 secs to load my library. My 10 sec blank song starts and gives me a chance to press the shuffle button and I get a truly random playlist every time. When I unplugged the cable from the Ipod, I leave the connector half in/half out to make it easier to plug it back in at the right time since I am usually doing it with my car in motion.

Renaming a blank song to be song 1 is something I read on a different forum. Finding a way to get a random shuffle I stumbled on by myself. While not ideal, it has made using my Ipod less stressful. Maybe Mazda will eventually come up with a fix for the NB1's Ipod integration, but I am beginning to serious doubt that it will ever occur. Reading forums for the 2014 Mazda 3 with their new infotainment system, it has had many problems as well. But they have already published 3 or 4 software updates in the last 6-9 months. I have had my car for over a year and they haven't made any changes to the NB1.