Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2010 Mazda 3 "creaks" when shifting/accelerating during cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Default 2010 Mazda 3 "creaks" when shifting/accelerating during cold weather

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about a problem that's been frustrating me for a few years. The dealership and a transmission shop have so far not been able to find the problem.

Car: 2010 Mazda 3 iTouring, manual transmission
Mileage: ~34,000 (no, I don't drive a lot)

Main symptom: in the colder months (when it's, say, below 50 degrees), there is a sound that can only be described as a "creaking" (not a squeaking or a squealing) that occurs, usually during/after shifting (more below.)

Occasional secondary symptom: a slight, momentary jerking back-and-forth after entering a new gear and starting to accelerate (especially if I'm not paying attention and don't time my shift very well.)

Timing: The issue is most noticeable during or just after shifting. For a long time I thought it happened when I pressed or released the clutch pedal, but after listening more carefully, I've realized it seems to be more related to pressing or releasing the accelerator. For instance, while switching between gears, if I intentionally let the gas out completely before engaging the clutch, I realize the "creak" has actually occurred when the gas pedal is released, and is over by the time I depress the clutch.

It mostly happens around the time of a shift, probably because that's when I'm releasing or pressing the accelerator most suddenly. However, as I'm cruising along in gear, I do sometimes hear small creaks when I suddenly move the accelerator in our out.

It's important to point out that it only happens when the transmission/engine is engaged. I can play with all 3 pedals all I want when the engine is off, or when the car is in neutral, and there is no creaking.

The sketchy AAMCO I took it to wanted to replace the motor mounts, but I don't really trust them.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Old 01-05-2017, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

I would be paying close attention to the gearbox mount.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the reply, grim_reaper ... I have an appointment to get the transmission mount checked out in a few weeks. The dealer said the engine mounts looks fine.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:12 PM

That did the trick. $400 later I have a new transmission mount, and the symptoms seem to be resolved.

Thanks again for the reply, grim_reaper.

Any ideas how to avoid putting excess wear and tear on this mount?