Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

2010 hands free volume is extremely loud. Can it be adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Angry 2010 hands free volume is extremely loud. Can it be adjusted?

I have a 2010 Mazda3 hatch w/Bose sound system. I have an iPhone 3Gs and an iPhone 3G that are paired with the vehicle that both work great. The bluetooth volume is at the same level as the radio which is great. The problem is, when any part of the hands free system in the car is used, the volume level is double what the radio or the bluetooth connection is. Example, if I am in the car and I am listen to the radio and I press the pickup button on the steering wheel, the beep and the woman that you hear is very loud compared to the radio. The worst part of all this is when your phone is connected and you receive a call, the ringer inside the car will blow your ears out when it rings and when it hangs up.

No offense but please don't tell me this has anything to do with my phone because as I have stated earlier, the bluetooth talk level is equivalent to the radio. Also, when no phones are paired with the car and you press the pickup or hands free button for any reason, the woman you hear in the car along with all of the command beeps are extremely loud compared to any other volumes in the car.

The handsfree volume in the car needs to be lowered and I am wondering if and how this can be done?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM

What does the dealer say? I've found that at most every dealer there are one or two guys who are techies and know the tips and tricks of the gear better than the others. I think you need to find that "guy".

I'm interested in your post as I have a '10 3 ordered with tech package, should be here in a month. My dealer did not have a tech equipped 3 in stock so I ordered the package sight unseen, later he did get one in stock. When he demoed it, the woman's voice (with no devices paired) was at a normal volume, not overly loud by any means. I did not try hitting the volume up/down when the voice was talking, could that be the solution?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM

The woman's voice is a little easier to take and is adjustable by the volume. It's the difference between the volume levels that's gets ya. My main issue is the ringer and hang up beeps. I can be listening to my radio at a very low level with family in the car and when my phone rings, everyone grabs there ears. It is ear piercing. Then once you answer the call, you will need to raise the volume slightly to hear the caller then comes the hang up beeps to stick you in the ear drum one last time. It is rendered itself useless to me at this point because of this issue. I will poke around my manual and phone settings and see if I can't figure this out otherwise it's off to the dealer.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Oops, I needed to set the email notification thus the reason for this post.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Interesting. Have you tried calling the phone/car and hitting the volume control on the wheel while it's ringing? Maybe it operates like the voice volume- there's got to be a way. Be sure to clear all family members safely away from the vehicle while testing...........

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 AM

With my tail firmly wedged between my legs, I must admit I found the solution last night. To put it simple, I just needed to turn up the volume on the phone during a hands free call. I think I had tried everything but that. Apparently, the car volume and the phone ear volume run independently of one another unlike most bluetooth headsets I have used over the years. The volume is normally connected, either one controls the other.

I basically turned up the ear volume on the phone, that brought the callers voice up louder then I was able to turn down the volume in the car which intern lowered the ringer and hang up tones in the car. If I had the option to lower the levels in the computer a bit more so that ring was very subtle, I would still do that. None the less, I am a very happy camper this morning and the system is very usable now.

Bottom line... Radio, Hands Free, and Phone all have independent volume adjustments and all need to be adjusted to your liking.

I feel pretty stupid because I am normally the go to guy with this kind of stuff.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM

No need to feel stupid, I probably would have been cussing the system out myself too as that sounds like a solution that would not have been real apparent. Thanks for the "tip", when my 3 arrives I will have one less thing to figure out the hard way. And the best part is that now the family can ditch the ear plugs................

Old 01-15-2020, 02:47 PM
Default Still working?

Just wanted to follow up? Is this still working for you? I've had 2010 Mazda 3 since 2009 and this has always driven me crazy. Volume for ringer was always super loud when using Android or Apple phones. I've messed with in-call volumes using the stereo and the phone, etc. I can get it be acceptable, but I'll notice later on it will change again. I assume this is because I've adjusted the volume for bluetooth headphones, etc.

Just seems like Mazda could have easily designed this WAY better. You know, have a "ringer" volume selection. Then have it designed that when your phone rings, the music is paused and the ringer plays at a reasonable level. Instead they have it more like the ringer volume is having to compete with the stereo music volume.

Wonder if they have any firmware updates for the radio.... hmmm....

Originally Posted by tonytooth
With my tail firmly wedged between my legs, I must admit I found the solution last night. To put it simple, I just needed to turn up the volume on the phone during a hands free call. I think I had tried everything but that. Apparently, the car volume and the phone ear volume run independently of one another unlike most bluetooth headsets I have used over the years. The volume is normally connected, either one controls the other.

I basically turned up the ear volume on the phone, that brought the callers voice up louder then I was able to turn down the volume in the car which intern lowered the ringer and hang up tones in the car. If I had the option to lower the levels in the computer a bit more so that ring was very subtle, I would still do that. None the less, I am a very happy camper this morning and the system is very usable now.

Bottom line... Radio, Hands Free, and Phone all have independent volume adjustments and all need to be adjusted to your liking.

I feel pretty stupid because I am normally the go to guy with this kind of stuff.