Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Mazda2 Retractable Key Not Working Correctly

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:47 AM
Default Mazda2 Retractable Key Not Working Correctly

Hello all,

Just picked up my Mazda second hand and it's a beautiful car. When I got it, the owner couldn't locate the retractable button key, so I made do with the auxiliary key. A month or so passes and they managed to locate the key. The battery in it had since died and when I replaced it with the 1620, the key didn't work at first.

I took it apart and gave it a good clean (was really dirty and sandy). When back together, the button to unlock the car works and the red indicator on the remote lights up, but the lock button doesn't work at all. Also, I cannot seem to get the theft deterent system to work properly or reliably, it sometimes goes off when I use the key to unlock the door and the bottom button to cancel the alarm doesn't seem to respond, unless I need to use the unlock button instead. Has anyone got any ideas on what could be wrong, with both the key itself and the alarm. This model is NOT keyless and so doesn't have the advanced key.

See attached some photos of the key.

Many thanks!

Jordan.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:02 AM

In regards to the alarm, if it is armed and you unlock the door with the key, as you said, the alarm will sound. You can stop the alarm by inserting any of your two keys into the ignition and starting the engine.

The remote not working could be a number of things but something seems to be damaged on the board. You could keep trying to clean it i suppose, a toothbrush and alcohol is probably best (dont ever use acetone *nail polish remover*)

If it were me, i would just not bother with remote central locking/alarm until i'd got the money to have a replacement remote key made and programmed to the car not sure on the price of this though, probably about £80 to £150, thats a wild guess.

Remember you can always stop the alarm from sounding by starting the engine with either key.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:12 AM

Thanks for your reply, yeah, it's a bit of a hassle but me and my dad noticed (in the picture above) on the button to the right, one of the pegs connecting to the board appears to be disconnected. Maybe a simple soldering job would fix it. I got quoted by Mazda nearly £200 for a new key fob... but I've found somebody locally that could get me a key for around £90. So if he can get a key working I'll get it from them. Also, thanks for the tip about the alarm.

Many thanks,

Jordan.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:16 AM

No problem. Give the soldering job a try you've got nothing to loose at this point. You can always get another key if it doesn't work. And if it does work then you've saved yourself some money.

Good luck, Scott.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:18 AM

Yeah, worst-case scenario is that I'm just left with the key itself.

Cheers!

-Jordan