2013 Mazda 2 > Rear Brack Drum Retaining Screw - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 PM

Default 2013 Mazda 2 > Rear Brack Drum Retaining Screw

I can't get the stupid stripped phillips head, rear brake drum, retaining screws out of this *$%! thing. Any easy ideas how to remove the screws? I've used PB Blaster and hammer with punch after the head stripped out from my screw driver. I guess I can drill them out since I have new replacement drums. I can't find any replacement screws anywhere either. Are they really necessary? Can I run safely without them? Thanks to anyone who wants to share info.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 PM

Drill them out. You wont have to drill long before you defeat them. Screws help keep the drum on while the vehicle is rolling down the assembly line. Set the park brake before you drill to keep the drum steady, just don't forget to release it before pulling, or trying really hard to, remove the drum. Impact screwdriver works best at removing them if the heads are not destroyed already.