Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

2008 Mazda 2 noise when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Default 2008 Mazda 2 noise when cold

Good day every one, my M 2 has done 80000 km & of late there is a staccato like ticking only after the first start in the morning when I engage 1st gear & drive off. After a short distance this disappears for the rest of the day. My concern is it seems to be getting worse.
Can anyone offer some advise as to what it might be please.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by fisheagle
Good day every one, my M 2 has done 80000 km & of late there is a staccato like ticking only after the first start in the morning when I engage 1st gear & drive off. After a short distance this disappears for the rest of the day. My concern is it seems to be getting worse.
Can anyone offer some advise as to what it might be please.
I got the same problem, and is getting worse. I m thinking maybe a bad timing chain tensioner to cause that timing chain to flap around and hit the valve cover. Will try to find some time this week to open up the valve cover and try to find out what is the cause of it.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:29 AM

Hello, my 2008 1.5 2 DE has the same problem. I've checked the timing chain, VVT actuator, adjusted the valve clearance...but it still makes noise when cold starting it. Has anyone solved this problem? The noise is as follows:
. You can hear it at 22 seconds - the rest is injector noise (totally fine). Thank you for your answer.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:24 AM
Banned
Exclamation

_______

Last edited by user 72308230; 03-15-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:36 AM

My turn only this is a perfectly as humanly possible performing and health checked engine.

Old 01-07-2023, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
My turn only this is a perfectly as humanly possible performing and health checked engine.

VID 20210803 121551614 - YouTube
But that ain´t the Mazda 2 DE mate, seems like newer one with SkyActiv.

Originally Posted by NedCZ
Hello, my 2008 1.5 2 DE has the same problem. I've checked the timing chain, VVT actuator, adjusted the valve clearance...but it still makes noise when cold starting it. Has anyone solved this problem? The noise is as follows: https://youtu.be/z8Y4Tpm-_fw?t=22. You can hear it at 22 seconds - the rest is injector noise (totally fine). Thank you for your answer.
YES! This is exactly the sound I get when cold starting mine. Lasts like 10 seconds of driving then disappears. It happens on every cold start, even in the summer. What's your lineup? I have a 2008 1.5L 76kw, 160,000 km and run 5W-40. Some YouTube guys have the same problem with 0W-20 as well. How long has your car been making this noise? Mine does this since I bought it from the previous (first) owner last year. Looks like it is not getting any worse.

Old 01-07-2023, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by NedCZ
But that ain´t the Mazda 2 DE mate, seems like newer one with SkyActiv.

YES! This is exactly the sound I get when cold starting mine. Lasts like 10 seconds of driving then disappears. It happens on every cold start, even in the summer. What's your lineup? I have a 2008 1.5L 76kw, 160,000 km and run 5W-40. Some YouTube guys have the same problem with 0W-20 as well. How long has your car been making this noise? Mine does this since I bought it from the previous (first) owner last year. Looks like it is not getting any worse.
Sorry you are missing my point of the video as well there are common sounds associated with most all engine in the last 60+ years that some of us know. Unless you do a better posting of location of the sound or at least attempt to use a tool that can locate exactly where the sound is coming from most people without a lot of experience with sounds will find it difficult with your one video to give any "sound" advise about what is a possible cause.

As for the viscosity of choice unless you use a drastic change like a 20w50 and even then, I would doubt it would make difference unless using it in 10F degree or lower ambientes. See basic information for temperature operating viscosity of oil charts and DATA.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:34 AM
Default '08 Mazda 6 2.3 Non-Turbo

Originally Posted by nikolas126
Does your noise sound when you start the engine or when you start driving? I have similar sound to my M2 too. My car sounds like this https://youtu.be/ammv3bsq3O8
I am a certified tech out of South Seattle College and also am of age and take wrenching as an auto tech seriously. And honestly your second sound is your rod bearings sad to say bud. Thing is what most individuals don't realize is that any 4 banger that has some miles it will never keep the tolerances it had new. And running oil that's like water after I'd say even 60,000 miles or even less depending on the conditions it was run is way to low in viscosity. Believe it or not I got mines at 122,xxx n change and have 15-40 being I run it in the city means its constantly stop and go or idling more than outside city driving and therefore the oil viscosity breaks down faster especially with any constant stop and go action. Rings wear and with any blow by you also get a bit of gas vapors that also add to the break down as well. Trust me, it thins out enough because I've had to do it to my older Chevy ,4.3 and it was a mild knock but I knew as with any knock that if you don't thicken that oil up your gonna loose those bearings on a hard acceleration one day. To each his own. As for the first rattling of the chain, I'm having the exact same problem right after just replacing the timing chain kit. As I see in all these threads it does the chain slap on cold starts but then quiets down. And the same when it's turned off after having run for a bit then run again, no issues at all. A mechanical engineer on another forum had the same thing as well and he believes as I do is that it's just bad engineering design. Because another guy swapped out all the parts only to have the same thing happen not but a few starts later again. Someone dropped the ball as it has happened with nearly all auto manufacturers somewhere down the line on one or more of they're vehicles. Sad thing I only bought the car because its great shape for its age and with gas prices here at nearly $5 a gallon, I don't need a bunch of power but rather fuel economy because it will move on the freeway real nice also. I see this has been a troublesome issue for alot of people who own one of these or Mazdaspeed series. But also everyone has different level of skills and not sure what brands if OEM which does make a world of difference compared to any knockoffs from overseas. I've learned and you will to if you haven't already is not to skimp no matter how much the difference on OEM in comparison to whatever else, unless they're a well known reputable source of course, because it'll bite you in the end. Especially with internal parts that must take alot of torture and abuse. But also for any that have not looked into all the recalls, the original VVT on these engines were not heat treated as they were supposed to have been and from 2012 they were no longer used. That's one theory but as said many have bought these right out from the dealers brand new and not long after the engine was toast and replaced only to fail again and again until the warrantys we're up. There's only so many parts for it to behave as it does. And I have yet to replace the vvt solenoid or vvt itself. I do the work and any others do as well then it may not be worth the money to invest in these vehicles because the return as you see would be minimal unless you found an unsuspecting individual to get over on. Because again, once the oil pressure is up and circulating, the rattles go away. and if left running for awhile it won't make the sound do to the oil pressure still being within the parts that allow the tension to remain on the chain itself. Once the oil drops and returns to the pan and you start again it's as though parts are temporarily starved for oil which if after so long of course parts will prematurely expire. Thus creating scrap metal. Check out this channel "I do engines" on YouTube and type your engine in. This guy tears them down and I wish I had see this channel before ever buying the car. He knows after upwards of 60 teardowns that these engines are notoriously known for oil starvation due to human error or as I see it just bad engineering on Mazdas part. And ive owned several other models which is known for zoom zoom! But not these ones. And from '04-'12 they made this mess and when class action sued, they said there was nothing wrong with these engines at all. 😂 I know i wrote a book huh. My bad but I had to get it out there because I see a lot of people got burned and still are from these engines!! And me being a tech I should've known better!!! Ill post a pic of it. I planned on giving it the best sporty look I can as a project. It's what I enjoy doing