Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tribute Hybrid Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Default Tribute Hybrid Headlight Problem

Hi all,

I have a 2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid Grand Touring. My headlights have always been pretty terrible. I drive a lot in the mountains and open roads and would like to figure out how I might fix my problem, so I don't hit a deer, elk or horse at night!!

1. When I put on my high beams, they create a thin light pattern that is not very wide and about 3 feet high that doesn't light up the road very well. I am wondering if there were any problems with the headlight housings for this model that would cause my headlights to do this rather than put out a wider and higher beam?

2. This makes it seem like the lights are DIM?? Currently, I have installed Sylvania Silverstar Ultras and it has not helped.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What do you think if I ordered another pair of headlight housings and installed? Might that refocus my light better? I thought that I read in another forum that the headlight bulb recommended for this model, the H13/9008, was actually the wrong bulb?? Maybe that is causing the poor light field? Does anyone know what alternate bulb might work?

I have never had an accident with this vehicle, so I don't believe that the housing was ever bent or repositioned. I did take them to the local Mazda dealer and have them checked, they said they were fine. After that I bought a 4mm socket to try to adjust the height of the headlights, but only raised the height of the thin light pattern.

So, I would like to know if anyone has experienced this and found a fix. I am on the verge of purchasing an aftermarket HID kit, but wonder if I would just have a brighter, small, thin patch of light?

Thank you for any ideas,

Arlie