Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tribute Front End Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Default Tribute Front End Clunk?

Hello all,
I have a 2003 V6 Tribute with 135000kms.
I have noticed a clunking noise coming from the front end, I think passenger side.
I informed my mechanic at last service and he replaced the stabiliser bars, and engine mounts.
This has not helped, hence it is still knocking.
Also, 20000kms ago the shock absorbers were replaced.
It has no handling issues, and the noise can be heard on a relatively smooth surfaced road.
Any suggestions on where to look next?
Thanks in advance
Alan

Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 AM

Alan, I am not sure why the mechanic would replace the engine mounts and the stabilizer bars. It's only a front end clunk form the right side, correct? Failing engine mounts would cause a clunk when you step on the accelerator or lift the foot of the accelerator.

And why would he change the sway bars? That's 2 of them, one in the front and one in the back. The back one sure will not cause a clunk in the front! The bars themselves don't have any moving parts. They twist. What could cause a clunk are the sway bar links. Most of them have 2 ball joints and these can wear out. Typically they make a clunking noise on relatively even roads. The noise goes away when cornering because then they are under load in one direction. You can also reproduce that noise when parked: Open a door and use it as a lever to rock the vehicle. It will knock with every back and forth. Then you can confirm the suspicion by using a pry bar to push up the sway bar end while observing the link.
Of course you need to eliminate other potential sources: struts, lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and inner tie rod ends. The tie rod end noise becomes prominent when steering.

Maybe the noise is not loud enough yet to make a diagnosis. Our Ford Contour made a noise when steering in the parking lot for years until our mechanic could say for sure it was the inner tie rod end. These you can't see because they are covered by the bellows of the steering rack.

Last edited by tanprotege; 01-19-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 AM

If it's anything like my Tribute. I would suggest also taking a look at the lower control arm bushings. My sway bar end links have been replaced twice in 5 years and sound as if the passenger side is worn out once again. They make a clunking noise over any bump, made more noticeable when it's cold out.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks for filling this in, GhostTribute. Indeed these rubber bushings can take only so much.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 AM

Sorry for the confusment..
I meant sway bar links were replaced.
Not stabiliser bars, I will get mechanic to look at control arm bushings.
When I grab the passenger door and move up and down as you reccomended, I hear the clunking.
Confused here, I apologise as I am no way mechanicly minded..just fed up with the clunking.
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them

Old 09-14-2023, 07:53 PM
Default I just had my whole front end replaced

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Alan, I am not sure why the mechanic would replace the engine mounts and the stabilizer bars. It's only a front end clunk form the right side, correct? Failing engine mounts would cause a clunk when you step on the accelerator or lift the foot of the accelerator.

And why would he change the sway bars? That's 2 of them, one in the front and one in the back. The back one sure will not cause a clunk in the front! The bars themselves don't have any moving parts. They twist. What could cause a clunk are the sway bar links. Most of them have 2 ball joints and these can wear out. Typically they make a clunking noise on relatively even roads. The noise goes away when cornering because then they are under load in one direction. You can also reproduce that noise when parked: Open a door and use it as a lever to rock the vehicle. It will knock with every back and forth. Then you can confirm the suspicion by using a pry bar to push up the sway bar end while observing the link.
Of course you need to eliminate other potential sources: struts, lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and inner tie rod ends. The tie rod end noise becomes prominent when steering.

Maybe the noise is not loud enough yet to make a diagnosis. Our Ford Contour made a noise when steering in the parking lot for years until our mechanic could say for sure it was the inner tie rod end. These you can't see because they are covered by the bellows of the steering rack.
I just had my whole front end of my 2003 Mazda tribute replaced but its still making a popping noise on the right side im not sure what else could be wrong with it